Let's take a look at my ACC men's basketball preseason ballot

Freshman Paolo Banchero was picked as the ACC's Preseason Player of the Year.

The ballots are in, the votes are counted and we’ve got our preseason picks.

Duke's first game is still not until Nov. 9, but beginning-of-the-year festivities have begun. The ACC released all of its media members' choices for preseason accolades Tuesday, and I cast a ballot of my own, so let’s open it up and see how mine paired up with the rest.

Preseason Player of the Year:

My ballot: 

Paolo Banchero, Duke

Final results:

Paolo Banchero, Duke

Takeaways: 

I don’t think we need to spend a ton of time on this one. Banchero can literally play any of the five spots on the floor, shoots the ball at a high clip and already carries himself like a seasoned veteran. Not to mention, all that comes packaged in a 6-foot-10, 250-pound athlete who has at least a 40-inch vertical. We already got to see a flash of it last Friday at Duke's Countdown to Craziness when he used the dribble off a jab step to create enough space for a monstrous slam. Sure it was a scrimmage, but plays like that are going to be a repeat occurrence this year. Oh and I almost forgot, Banchero is regularly floated as the No. 1 pick for the 2021 NBA Draft.  

Next question please. 

Preseason Freshman of the Year

My ballot:

Paolo Banchero, Duke

Final results:

Paolo Banchero, Duke

Takeaways:

By the transitive property, I'm sure you saw this one coming. Banchero nabbed this one in a landslide, with the next closest freshman being teammate Trevor Keels. Remember that part about him being able to do everything on the basketball court? That's applicable here too. 

Preseason All-ACC First Team

My ballot:

1. Paolo Banchero, Duke
  2. Keve Aluma, Virginia Tech
  3. Buddy Boeheim, Syracuse
  4. Prentiss Hubb, Notre Dame
  5. Armando Bacot, North Carolina

Final results:

1. Buddy Boeheim, Syracuse
  2. Keve Aluma, Virginia Tech
  3. Paolo Banchero, Duke
  4. Armando Bacot, North Carolina
  5. Isaiah Wong, Miami

It appears I am in agreement for the most part with my fellow voters on this one. It’s a little surprising that Syracuse's Buddy Boeheim recorded the most votes, but he’s once again going to be the best shooter in the ACC and I wouldn’t be surprised if he takes home the scoring title. Both our lists had Keve Aluma second, and for good reason. Aluma exploded onto the ACC scene after he had to sit out the 2019-20 year following his transfer from Wofford. The 6-foot-9 forward plays with tenacity in the paint, both when going up for a bucket and for a board, and he's got a great feel when moving off the ball in the key. It's not hard to root for Aluma after you watch him play for a few minutes, and he's got the game to make it worth your while. 

Banchero was an easy pick for all the reasons I already wrote about, so I won’t bore you with another laundry list. The last player the voters and I agreed on was North Carolina big man Armando Bacot. Bacot is the Tar Heels’ premier offensive option this year with the departure of Walker Kessler and Garrison Brooks, and I can only see him improving on his 12.3 points and 7.8 rebounds per game from last year. 

For our one disagreement, it’s not that I have anything against Isaiah Wong. I think he is the second-best scoring guard in the conference behind Boeheim (I have Michael Devoe at a close third), but I am all about Prentiss Hubb and the way he plays. Hubb is the engine of his Notre Dame team and we’re going to see him score and facilitate better than anyone else in the conference this year. He doesn't need to dominate the ball all the time, but he's best with the rock in his hands and I don't think Mike Brey will have an issue with Hubb driving and dishing to his heart's desire—but the rest of the ACC might not be a fan. 

Preseason Order of Finish 

Note: Final results are in bold, mine are italicized.

1. Duke/Duke
  2. Florida State/North Carolina
  3. North Carolina/Virginia Tech
  4. Virginia/Florida State
  5. Virginia Tech/Virginia
  6. Louisville/Syracuse
  7. Syracuse/Notre Dame
  8. Notre Dame/Miami
  9. N.C. State/Louisville
  10. Georgia Tech/Georgia Tech
  11. Clemson/N.C. State
  12. Miami/Clemson
  13. Wake Forest/Wake Forest
  14. Pittsburgh/Boston College
  15. Boston College/Pittsburgh

Duke landing at the top of this list wasn’t a hard one to predict. With the recruiting class the Blue Devils brought in and the return of Wendell Moore Jr., Jeremy Roach and Mark Williams, this team is and should be the odds on favorite. Where it gets fun is second through fifth. We had the same four teams, but in different order. North Carolina has too much talent, especially with Bacot, Caleb Love and Kerwin Walton coming back, for me to not have it right behind Duke. 

I was torn on where to stick Florida State, but I have to admit I am fully bought in to what Mike Young is building over there in Blacksburg, Va., so I gave the Hokies the edge. Aluma and transfer Storm Murphy are as good a duo as any in this conference and the team returns Hunter Cattoor and Justyn Mutts as well, so I am high on Virginia Tech. By no means does that mean I don’t think Florida State is going to be a formidable ACC team, especially with lanky freshman guard Matthew Cleveland and Houston transfer Caleb Murphy, but it gets slotted in behind. Virginia lost Jay Huff and Sam Hauser, which is massive, but between Tony Bennett's coaching and the guard duo of Reece Beekman and Kihei Clark, these Cavaliers will plenty good to nab that fifth spot. 

Our biggest difference from sixth to 15th is Miami. I've got the Hurricanes at No. 8 and most had them at No. 12. I guess I am much higher on Wong’s ability to will this Miami team to wins, which is ironic since he wasn't even on my first team. But Wong will have the aid of sixth-year senior Kameron McGusty and forward Anthony Walker, so don’t count Jim Larrañaga and his Hurricanes out. I slotted Louisville in at No. 9 versus the rest of the group having the Cardinals at No. 6 because I just don’t trust someone to fill the massive shoes of Carlik Jones, especially because he brought a seasoned leadership presence to go along with his basketball skills. 

Jake C. Piazza

Jake Piazza is a Trinity senior and was sports editor of The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Share and discuss “Let's take a look at my ACC men's basketball preseason ballot” on social media.