Duke Student Government passes election by-laws, funds student groups in Wednesday meeting

In preparation for its upcoming elections, Duke Student Government passed fall 2021 election by-laws in its Wednesday meeting.

These policies are meant to “overview the entire election process [to] make sure all the rules are spelled out,” said Devan Desai, a junior and Senate president pro tempore.

The only major difference between the fall 2021 by-laws and that of the previous school year is the date of the elections, Sept. 9 and 10; the general election rules have not changed. The ten-section election statute details a wide range of issues, including campaign budgeting, campaign correspondence, the Board of Elections and adjudications in Articles 4, 6, 8, and 9, respectively.

The most recent addition to the by-laws in Section 10, incorporated before the fall 2020 election cycle, details violations of DSG election rules from a range of Level 1 to Level 3 violations from least to most severe. 

Senators also discussed the 43rd annual virtual volunteer fair, scheduled for Sept. 9 and held by Duke’s Office of Civic Engagement in partnership with the Triangle Nonprofit & Volunteer Leadership Center. The program is meant to connect the Duke community to local nonprofits and encourage civic service. 

In other business

Junior Drew Flanagan, chair of the Student Organization Finance Committee, led a presentation on Duke American Sign Language and the Duke Pakistani Student Association’s funding requests. Duke ASL was granted funding of $1,739.60 to be directed towards their lessons for the fall semester, and the Duke PSA was endowed $7,958 for their Mehfil-e-Qawwali performance.

Flanagan noted that the utilization of funds has been low for clubs so far this semester, especially given the amount of money the school holds due to the lack of spending the previous school year.

Senators chartered two new groups on campus: the Women's Network and MEDesign. The Women’s Network is a non-selective pre-professional organization meant to be a chapter of the London-based networking group, while MEDesign seeks to introduce Blue Devils to the world of biomedical device design and prototyping, giving undergraduate students a glimpse into traditional design courses that would normally be given their senior year.

Audrey Wang profile
Audrey Wang | Editor-in-Chief

Audrey Wang is a Trinity junior and editor-in-chief of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke Student Government passes election by-laws, funds student groups in Wednesday meeting” on social media.