Duke to roll out plan for residential college system starting fall 2022, per obtained email

Selective living groups will not have dedicated housing after 2022-23 year

<p>Selective living groups Cooper House and Wayne Manor were formerly housed in Crowell Quad. All SLG housing was moved to Edens Quad for the 2021-22 academic year.</p>

Selective living groups Cooper House and Wayne Manor were formerly housed in Crowell Quad. All SLG housing was moved to Edens Quad for the 2021-22 academic year.

Duke will be rolling out a plan for a transition to a residential college system to begin fall 2022 over the next few days.

The plan is built around “a strong affiliation for students’ first-year homes and their sophomore year quad, with recruitment for Greek life and other selective living groups continuing in the fall of prospective recruits’ sophomore year,” according to an email obtained by The Chronicle from Mary Pat McMahon, vice provost and vice president of student affairs, Shruti Desai, associate vice president of student affairs for campus life and Chris Rossi, assistant vice president of student affairs.

The email states that the 2022-23 academic year will be the last year that selective living groups will have a dedicated residential section in campus housing.

“We are not ‘abolishing’ Greek life and have no plans to do so; we are, however, going to continue to emphasize a longer period of time in which incoming students focus on broadening their connections and affirmations within their residential communities,” the email reads.

The Chronicle reported in November 2020 that the Next Generation Living and Learning 2.0 Committee planned to set up a new “residential community” system on West Campus and build a joyful and intentional four-year residential experience that promotes growth, meaningful inclusion, and health, and that is distinctly Duke.”

McMahon did not immediately respond to a request by The Chronicle for comment.

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.

Leah Boyd profile
Leah Boyd

Leah Boyd is a Pratt senior and a social chair of The Chronicle's 118th volume. She was previously editor-in-chief for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “Duke to roll out plan for residential college system starting fall 2022, per obtained email” on social media.