Duke to let some fall study abroad programs go forward in countries with high COVID-19 spread

Duke gave the green light on Thursday to study away programs in several countries the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has assigned a “very high risk” due to COVID-19.

Duke’s recent travel policy update restricted travel to various countries due to the continued spread of COVID-19. Students were able to request exemption for “essential travel,” but this policy conflicted with study away programs. 

In response, the Global Education Office for Undergraduates has petitioned the Global Travel Advisory Committee to waive travel restrictions for students enrolled in programs in countries rated Level 4 by the CDC—the “very high risk” category. These petitions were successful for the programs in Ireland, the United Kingdom, Spain and Portugal, GEO Operations Director Amy Bowes wrote in an email obtained by The Chronicle.

“France and Israel went on the CDC Level 4 list later than the other countries, so they represent a second set of petitions submitted to the GTAC on a later date,” Kelso wrote in an email to The Chronicle

She added that they expect a response from GTAC early next week, but that they are “confident that programs and universities in [France and Israel] have strong COVID response plans in place” and are prepared to host Duke students.

No programs have been cancelled as a result of Duke’s recent travel policy update, wrote Amanda Kelso, assistant vice provost for undergraduate education, in an email to The Chronicle.

Kelso explained that there were discussions over the summer about the possibility of petitioning travel restrictions, so she was prepared with information regarding COVID-19 planning. 

“Both our Duke-administered programs and the program providers hosting our students this fall have extensive COVID-19 plans in place and we do not expect cancellations at this point,” Kelso wrote. 

Kelso wrote that if programs are fully canceled prior to the end of Sept. 3, the end of Duke’s drop/add period, students can still return to Duke, enroll in classes and find housing. She noted that most programs and universities “have reached the point where, rather than cancel, they would alter programming, modify course delivery methods, etc. to allow students to complete their studies.”

Madeleine Berger profile
Madeleine Berger | Editor at Large

Madeleine Berger is a Trinity senior and an editor at large of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke to let some fall study abroad programs go forward in countries with high COVID-19 spread ” on social media.