Resources, campus groups, people to know: A collection of useful Chronicle stories

<p>The total cost for&nbsp;attending Duke during the 2017-18&nbsp;academic year&mdash;including tuition, room, board and fees&mdash;will be $68,298.</p>

The total cost for attending Duke during the 2017-18 academic year—including tuition, room, board and fees—will be $68,298.

This story was updated on Oct. 12, 2021, with links to more articles, including additional information about mental health resources.

If you’re a first-year student at Duke, welcome—and if you’re a returning student, welcome back!

Many Chronicle stories highlight resources for students on campus, feature the work of groups that provide those resources or introduce readers to people to know here at Duke. We’ve compiled some of those stories so you can find the information you need about life on campus. 

This article is not exhaustive; it brings together the stories and resource guides we have already published. If you have a suggestion for a topic we haven’t yet covered, let us know!

Resources and information

Wondering where to find resources you need to navigate life at Duke? One of these stories might be what you're looking for.

Mental health and wellness resources for the 2021-22 year

As the fall semester quickly approaches and COVID-19 restrictions continuously change, Duke has many mental health and wellness resources to help students navigate any challenge the new school year may bring.

A list of mental health resources for people of color at Duke and in Durham

The Chronicle has compiled a list of mental health resources for people of color to access.

A list of local mental health resources for members of the LGBTQ+ community

The Chronicle has compiled a list of mental health resources at Duke and in the Durham area for members of the LGBTQ+ community.

Here are the resources available at Duke for students with disabilities

The Chronicle has compiled a list of resources available to Duke students with disabilities, as well as allies involved in disability advocacy.  

What resources does Duke provide for its first-generation, low-income students?

Despite a disproportionate distribution of wealth at the University, Duke has increased its efforts to provide support for low-income students. Today, 52% of undergraduates receive some form of financial aid, and the University meets 100% of demonstrated financial need.

How the Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity supports students

CSGD, one of seven identity and cultural centers under Student Affairs, aims to create an inclusive campus community for those with “marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities and gender expressions.”

What you need to know about getting an STI screening at Duke

Student Health and Duke Wellness both offer testing.

Here’s where to get your required flu vaccine this semester

Undergraduates at Duke are required to receive their flu vaccine by Nov. 2, while faculty, staff and other employees have until Nov. 9 to do so. 

What to know about where to buy food, other products

A variety of snacks and other food products are available at the Lobby Shop on West Campus and the East Campus Store. But for some products, it may be worth making the trek to Harris Teeter instead—or even checking out Perkins Library.

Handshake replaces CareerConnections in effort to reinvigorate Career Center

Handshake, an intuitive website for college students to find internship and job possibilities, replaced CareerConnections as the Duke Career Center’s platform of choice June 1. 

Here are some fitness classes you can take at Duke—and how you can become an instructor for one

From Hatha yoga to kickboxing, Duke Recreation & Physical Education’s group fitness classes are a popular way to stay active on campus while building community.

Tickets and tenting: The Chronicle answers Class of 2023's sports questions

From 2019: This article answers questions about getting tickets to sporting events, showing up to basketball games, tenting for the North Carolina game and going to Countdown to Craziness. Some of these events might be altered this year due to COVID-19, but it should give you an idea of what a basketball season is like.

Campus identity, community, professional groups

Duke is home to a wide array of groups for students of diverse identities, communities and life plans. Here are a few stories The Chronicle has written about those groups’ roles on campus.

Love, pride and deep history: The story of Duke’s National Pan-Hellenic Council organizations

NPHC has roughly 50 members at Duke and nine different chapters nationally. Those chapters are commonly referred to as the “Divine Nine,” or D9. Eight chapters of the historically Black fraternities and sororities are chartered at Duke.

‘I would not have stayed silent’: Why students advocated for the Disability Cultural Center

Like the Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity and the Center for Multicultural Affairs, the Disability Cultural Center will provide students from another marginalized identity with recognition, community engagement and support.   

‘A future of inclusivity’: Blue Devils United pushes for gender-neutral bathrooms in every dorm hall

Blue Devils United, a student LGBTQ+ support and advocacy organization on campus, is pushing administration to add more gender-neutral bathrooms to campus dorms.

Duke's chapter of pre-law fraternity Phi Alpha Delta to offer resources, community for undergraduates

This fall, Duke will officially become home to a chapter of Phi Alpha Delta, a national law and pre-law fraternity. 

People to know at Duke

From administrators and student leaders to campus icons, it can be intimidating trying to remember who everyone is on campus. Here are some stories to help you get started.

Q&A: President Vincent Price on his first four years at Duke, post-pandemic life, ongoing initiatives

Editor-in-Chief Leah Boyd asked Price about Duke’s ongoing efforts regarding racial injustice, climate and sustainability, treatment of workers and recovery from the pandemic. 

Meet the Blackshears, the FIR family with an 'open door' 

John Blackshear is now dean of students at Duke, but this 2019 profile focuses on his role as faculty-in-residence in Trinity dorm. 

Raising four kids in a freshman dorm has meant befriending students, serving as their mentors and talking philosophy. It has also meant humoring drunk students and making sure they don’t wake the children at night. 

Chron15: Duke's icons, leaders and pioneers in 2020 and 2021

Submitted by readers and divided among three categories—icons, leaders and pioneers—our selections are all individuals or groups defining what it means to be a member of the Duke community in 2020 and 2021.

‘It’s always people first’: DSG President-elect Christina Wang to prioritize empathy, relationships in presidency

Wang’s presidency this year will be defined by the relationships she cultivates with DSG members, student groups, administrators and the student body at large. 

Relationship-driven and quick to listen: Meet Ysanne Spence, the next DUU president

Junior Ysanne Spence hopes to bring intentionality, strong connections and a compassionate spirit to her role as president of Duke University Union.

Leah Boyd elected editor-in-chief for Chronicle Vol. 117

Boyd’s primary goal is to “interrogate the definition of a new normal” at Duke through community-centered reporting, building on the foundation left by previous editors.

———

Interested in getting involved in student journalism at Duke? Email matthew.l.griffin@duke.edu.

Matthew Griffin

Matthew Griffin was editor-in-chief of The Chronicle's 116th volume.

Leah Boyd profile
Leah Boyd

Leah Boyd is a Pratt senior and a social chair of The Chronicle's 118th volume. She was previously editor-in-chief for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “Resources, campus groups, people to know: A collection of useful Chronicle stories” on social media.