Duke in the NBA: Offseason updates

Trent Jr. found success in Toronto last season after a midseason trade and has signed a three-year contract to stay with the team.

Though the recently-crowned NBA Champion Milwaukee Bucks lacked a former Blue Devil, Duke men’s basketball stars are still having a thrilling offseason filled with trades, signings and chances to prove they have NBA-caliber talent.

NBA Draft brings three Blue Devils to the league

Starting up the offseason, the NBA Draft welcomed forward Jalen Johnson to the Atlanta Hawks, and, though undrafted, guard DJ Steward and forward Matthew Hurt joined the league as well, with Steward signing a training camp deal with the Sacramento Kings and Hurt joining the Houston Rockets on a two-way contract. 

Trent stays with Raptors on big extension

Additionally, Gary Trent Jr. signed an extension with the Toronto Raptors worth $54 million over three years. After being traded from Portland to Toronto midseason, Trent balled out with over 16 points per game, and he will likely be one of Toronto’s top offensive options next season. 

2015 Duke stars depart Memphis for new homes

Two 2015 NCAA Champions also find themselves on the move, as former Memphis Grizzlies teammates Justise Winslow and Grayson Allen join new teams. Winslow pairs with fellow Duke alum Luke Kennard on the Los Angeles Clippers, and Allen heads to Milwaukee to prepare for the team’s title defense. While Winslow has been dealing with injuries over the last two seasons, Allen, who was crucial in Duke’s 2015 national championship run, finds himself as a top shooter on the bench of a perennial title contender. 

Other former Duke stars find new landing spots

Joining Allen in Milwaukee is Rodney Hood. The veteran guard signed a one-year deal with the Bucks after getting waived by the Toronto Raptors. Traded to the Raptors along with Trent Jr. midseason, Hood has struggled since tearing his Achilles in late 2019 but could bounce back in Milwaukee if he stays healthy. 

Center Mason Plumlee was also shipped out of Detroit in exchange for rights to a draft pick and now finds himself back in North Carolina with the Charlotte Hornets. Plumlee was strong for the Pistons last season, averaging 10.4 points and 9.3 rebounds.

Summer League gives undrafted Blue Devils another shot

The Summer League features Justin Robinson, who will join Tre Jones on the San Antonio Spurs after spending last season in Europe. Also in the Summer League are two bigs from the 2019 ACC Championship team, as Marques Bolden will suit up for the Washington Wizards and Javin DeLaurier for the Atlanta Hawks. DeLaurier will join Johnson but not former Duke teammate Cam Reddish, as the Atlanta wing has opted out of Summer League competition.

Micah Hurewitz

Micah Hurewitz is a Trinity senior and was previously a sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Offseason updates” on social media.