Five-star 2022 recruit Dariq Whitehead commits to Duke men's basketball

Filipowski is the first commit of Duke's Class of 2022, which will be Jon Scheyer's first recruiting class as the program's head coach.

Add another recruit to the list for incoming head coach Jon Scheyer.

Dariq Whitehead, the No. 6 recruit in the class of 2022, committed to Duke Sunday evening. ESPN's Paul Biancardi was the first to report the news, with Whitehead confirming the decision Monday via his personal Twitter. 

Whitehead was believed to be choosing between Florida State, Kansas and the Blue Devils, according to his 247Sports Crystal Ball, and the NBA G League Ignite appeared to enter the conversation Saturday after Whitehead posted that the team had offered him a $500,000 contract.

Whitehead is a five-star prospect, and after watching some film it's not hard to see why. The 6-foot-6 forward has tremendous body control and has shown it repeatedly in finishing dunks and converting on contested layups. A particular strength of Whitehead is his ability to finish layups with a creative flair, but he can put the ball on the floor as well and knows how to get to his spots from all three levels. 

He has a natural shooting stroke that looks like it will be ready for college basketball as soon as he steps onto campus. He's flashed some passing ability, something that will go well with fellow 2022 commit Kyle Filipowski and whoever else Scheyer lands. 

Whitehead's commitment is the first five-star player Scheyer has successfully recruited since the announcement of him being the program's next head coach in June

Jake C. Piazza

Jake Piazza is a Trinity senior and was sports editor of The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Share and discuss “Five-star 2022 recruit Dariq Whitehead commits to Duke men's basketball” on social media.