Film room: Analyzing Duke women's basketball center Amaya Finklea-Guity

Graduate transfer center Amaya Finklea-Guity joins the Blue Devils after four seasons at Syracuse.

A stacked class of newcomers mark head coach Kara Lawson's first major accomplishment at Duke. Heading into the 2021-22 season, we take a look at film from Duke women's basketball's newest players. Previously, we analyzed Lexi Gordon and Lee Volker. Next up, we look at Amaya Finklea-Guity: 

Amaya Finklea-Guity is one of a handful of former five-star recruits to join the Duke women’s basketball roster for the upcoming season. She comes to Bull City from Syracuse, where she started during her first three seasons. But Finklea-Guity saw less playing time during her senior year, as freshman Kamilla Cardoso took over the starting spot.  

Finklea-Guity is a strong center who never shot less than 49.1% from the field during her career at Syracuse. It was Finklea-Guity’s experience, however, that was pivotal for the Orange in 2020-21. She played 13 or more minutes in four of Syracuse’s five postseason games, as she was able to score with ease in the paint and get some clutch rebounds.

The Massachusetts native will be the second tallest player on the team this season and knows how to use her size to her advantage. Her wingspan allows her to catch any pass that comes remotely within her sphere and, as a result, she is dominant anytime she cuts toward the basket.

Incredibly physical in the low post, Finklea-Guity brings something Duke hasn’t been able to perfect yet to the team. 

Finklea-Guity has an excellent sense of the court. Her ability to run the pick and roll and sneak behind her defender allows her to show off her skills in the paint, where she deftly uses the backboard to her advantage.

Whatever the opposite of butterfingers are, Finklea-Guity has them. Not only is she able to get open easily, but she rarely misses a pass. Her strength in the post allows her to push past defenders to get shots in at the most critical moments for her team and her shot placement, even in high-stress situations, is impeccable.

Force is the best word to describe Finklea-Guity on the court. She is certainly one to be reckoned with in the post. 

Share and discuss “Film room: Analyzing Duke women's basketball center Amaya Finklea-Guity” on social media.