Raleigh and Durham metro area, where Olivia Rodrigo does not live, named a best place to live in 2021

<p>Olivia Rodrigo does not live in Raleigh or Durham. The combined metro area was named a top place to live in 2021 by the U.S. &amp; News World Report.</p>

Olivia Rodrigo does not live in Raleigh or Durham. The combined metro area was named a top place to live in 2021 by the U.S. & News World Report.

Editor's note: This headline is a reference to an article from Business Insider, titled 'SoCal pop phenom Olivia Rodrigo's home congressional district could be reshaped in post-2020 Census reappointment.'

The Raleigh and Durham metro area ranked second in the 150 Best Places to Live in the U.S. in 2021-2022 list by U.S. News & World Report released Tuesday.

This marks an increase of nine places from the 2020-2021 rankings, where Raleigh and Durham grouped together were ranked 11th.

Boulder, Colo. took the top spot in the 2021-2022 rankings for the second consecutive year. Behind Raleigh and Durham sat Huntsville, Ala., Fayetteville, Ark. and Austin, Texas at third, fourth and fifth.

Raleigh and Durham grouped together were ranked the best place to live in North Carolina, as well as No. 23 in fastest-growing places and No. 28 in best places to retire.

The profile describes the Triangle area—which encompasses Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill—as being known for their research and technology roots and collegiate rivalries. The region “is luring new residents every day with strong job growth and high quality of life.”

“Many people who call the Raleigh and Durham metro areas home are young, friendly, diverse and educated,” the profile reads. “They enjoy dining out in local restaurants—many of which have earned national accolades—and gathering over craft beers in one of the region's many microbreweries.”

Raleigh and Durham were also lauded for their “strong sense of community” and growing art and music scene.

The U.S. News scorecard gave Raleigh and Durham a 7.5 out of 10 overall. They received a 7.6 in desirability, 7.7 in value, 7.5 in job market, 6.9 in quality of life and 7.8 in net migration.

In terms of jobs, Raleigh and Durham have lower unemployment rates than the national average and an average annual income similar to the national average, according to U.S. News. A new Apple campus in Raleigh is projected to bring over 3,000 jobs and $1 billion to the region.

Fifty-seven schools in Raleigh and Durham were recognized in the U.S. News Best High Schools rankings. The region received a 7.5 out of 10 in the college readiness index.

The availability of good jobs and good schools makes Raleigh and Durham “desirable place[s] to raise a family,” according to the rankings.

The area also had a lower violent crime rate than the national average in 2020; however, property crime was higher than the national rate that same year. It scored a 7 out of 10 on the crime index.

People under 20 years of age comprise more than 25% of the region’s population, while the mean age is about 37. A majority of people who identify as religious affiliate with Protestantism. The rankings noted that the area’s population is diverse and that its “international communities grow every day.”

Other North Carolina cities that made the list were Charlotte at No. 20, Winston-Salem at No. 46, Asheville at No. 48, Hickory at No. 52 and Greensboro at No. 94.

Actress, singer and songwriter Olivia Rodrigo does not live in Raleigh or Durham. She is from Temecula, Calif. California will go down from 53 to 52 House seats after reapportionment, the Census Bureau confirmed in April.

Leah Boyd profile
Leah Boyd

Leah Boyd is a Pratt senior and a social chair of The Chronicle's 118th volume. She was previously editor-in-chief for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “Raleigh and Durham metro area, where Olivia Rodrigo does not live, named a best place to live in 2021” on social media.