Sportswrap: Duke women's soccer prevails in double-overtime, men's lacrosse drops last regular-season game

Duke women's soccer had a big win against Arizona State to move on to the Round of 16 in the NCAA tournament.

Sportswrap is your one-stop shop for everything Duke athletics, where we’ll recap how each of Duke’s sports currently in competition performed over the last week and give a brief look ahead. Here’s our recap for the week of April 27-May 3.

Women’s soccer

No. 9-seed Duke opened the NCAA tournament in style, notching a 2-1 win with two of the most beautiful goals you’ll ever see. Ole Miss, after upsetting No. 8-seed USC in penalties, awaits the Blue Devils for the Round of 16 at WakeMed Park. -Em Adler

Men’s lacrosse

No. 2 Duke looked to clinch an outright ACC title Sunday against No. 3 North Carolina, but nine straight Tar Heel goals sent the Blue Devils (12-2, 4-2 in the ACC) home disappointed as co-champs with their archrivals. Duke star attackman Michael Sowers tallied seven points in the loss. Head coach John Danowski’s squad will find out its NCAA tournament seed May 9, seeking the program’s fourth national title. -Shane Smith

Women’s lacrosse

The fifth-seeded Blue Devils took on No. 4-seed Notre Dame in the first round of the ACC tournament April 28. While Duke trailed for the entire first half, it was able to tie it up with eight minutes left in the game. The Blue Devils ultimately fell 16-17 in the last two minutes, and now must wait until May 9 to hear their NCAA tournament bid. —Campbell Lawson

Track and field

The Blue Devils finished their regular season in style, with new personal-bests and program records filling the entire day. The 5000m ended the event, and Duke shined on both the women's and men's side, as Michaela Reinhart and Josh Romine took first place in their respective events and Blue Devils filled the top three spots in both the men's and women's races. Next on the schedule for Duke is the ACC Outdoor Championships May 13-15. -Jake Piazza

Sports that did not compete this week

Duke softball will take on Campbell this Wednesday and play N.C. State for four games this upcoming weekend.

Duke baseball has a Tuesday matchup with William & Mary and will head to Louisville this upcoming weekend for a three-game series.

Duke women's tennis earned a bid to the NCAA tournament and will take on Alabama May 7 in the first round.

Duke men's tennis received an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament and now has a match with South Florida May 7. 

Duke men's golf is awaiting May 5 to get the official nod for an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. 

Duke women's golf has the No. 1 seed and will head to Columbus, Ohio for the regionals May 10-12.

Duke rowing has another week off before heading to Clemson, S.C., for the ACC championship May 14-15.

Jake C. Piazza

Jake Piazza is a Trinity senior and was sports editor of The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Share and discuss “Sportswrap: Duke women's soccer prevails in double-overtime, men's lacrosse drops last regular-season game” on social media.