The most-viewed stories you May have missed this month

May brought celebration to Duke’s campus and beyond. The Class of 2021 graduated and were able to have an in-person ceremony. The University eased COVID-19 restrictions regarding mask-wearing on campus and announced some of the safety guidelines to expect in the fall. As sports teams pushed through NCAA tournaments, Duke officially welcomed new Athletic Director Nina King. Among all these new developments, here are five stories that really stood out to our readers.

1. A fantasy draft of every Duke men’s basketball player ever

What if you could hand-pick your perfect Blue Devils basketball team? That’s what members of The Chronicle’s sports section did, using Twitter audiences and former Blue Devil Jay Bilas to conclude what dream team could win such a title. Take a look at their lists, see how they compare and get excited for more great players in the future! 

2. When glory comes: John Legend discusses love, justice and learning in 2021 Commencement address

John Legend, famous musician and now honorary Duke graduate, discussed the importance of celebration and love in his commencement speech to the Class of 2021 at graduation. Legend has been working toward social justice and criminal justice reform, and he urged graduates to continue to learn and do better. 

3. How long will Duke stay at my house?

Taking classes from home has been a trying experience for many Duke students. For Duke staff and faculty working from home, the situation can be even more complicated. Conal Ho, who works in the Duke Health Institutional Review Board, is a college advisor for Trinity College of Arts & Sciences and a board member at the Duke Kunshan University IRB, wrote a column about the extent to which work has invaded home spaces and how the future looks for those trying to continue working in them.

4. ‘Snowflakes indeed’: Duke professors respond to UNC’s decision to not tenure Nikole Hannah-Jones

After the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill did not grant tenure to Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and MacArthur Fellowship “Genius Grant” recipient Nikole Hannah-Jones, Duke professors spoke up. Professors in journalism and public policy rejected the basis of the decision, affirming that someone with her skill should be given tenure, as is tradition among those in her new position as the Knight Chair in Race and Investigative Journalism at UNC’s Hussman School of Journalism and Media.

5. Avid surfer, shark attack survivor, All-American: Meet Duke men’s lacrosse goalie Mike Adler

Duke’s lacrosse team had a great season starring goalie Mike Adler, whose journey to Duke was anything but ordinary. Read about run-ins with creatures a lot scarier than an opposing team and other sports that nearly drew away the attention of this graduate transfer and All-American player. 

Maria Morrison profile
Maria Morrison

Maria Morrison is a Trinity senior and a digital strategy director for The Chronicle's 117th volume. She was previously managing editor for Volume 116.

Share and discuss “The most-viewed stories you May have missed this month” on social media.