Duke to ease in-person event restrictions beginning June 1

<p>The Blue Devil Buddies program is set to return for its second year.</p>

The Blue Devil Buddies program is set to return for its second year.

Duke schools, departments and units will be able to host in-person events on or off campus beginning June 1, according to a Monday email sent to faculty and staff by Vice President for Administration Kyle Cavanaugh.

Duke-hosted events may include faculty, staff, students and invited guests and do not require prior approval. External entities cannot host events on campus without approval from the Office of Public Affairs and Governmental Relations. Food and drink will be permitted according to Durham and North Carolina regulations. Hosts of events on campus should “strongly encourage” attendees to be vaccinated, Cavanaugh wrote.

“Together, we are making great strides to protect our community and return to some of the activities we have not been able to do during the worst of the pandemic. Thank you for your ongoing cooperation and resilience that has allowed us to reach this positive milestone,” Cavanaugh wrote.

Masks are still required in campus buildings and access will be limited to those with active DukeCards. Daily symptom monitoring is required to activate DukeCards for building access.

Events should observe current capacity guidelines from the State of North Carolina and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the email reads. 

North Carolina currently permits 100% capacity for museums, personal care and retail businesses, outdoor spaces at restaurants, amusement parks, fitness and physical activity facilities and pools. Events hosted in indoor spaces at restaurants, amusement parks, fitness and physical activity facilities and pools must observe 75% capacity. Movie theaters, bars, meeting spaces, conference centers, reception venues and other indoor and outdoor venues and arenas should observe 50% capacity.

Nadia Bey profile
Nadia Bey | Digital Strategy Director

Nadia Bey, Trinity '23, was managing editor for The Chronicle's 117th volume and digital strategy director for Volume 118.

Share and discuss “Duke to ease in-person event restrictions beginning June 1” on social media.