The independent news organization of Duke University

Duke lifts outdoor mask mandate

Masks must still be worn in crowded areas or where social distancing is not possible

Beyond only studying for upcoming midterms and finals, students enjoyed playing stress-relieving games during their wellness days, such as spikeball, on the quad with their friends.

Masks will no longer be required for students, employees or visitors outdoors on campus, except in crowded areas or “gatherings where social distancing is not possible,” according to a Monday morning email from Provost Sally Kornbluth and Vice President for Administration Kyle Cavanaugh.

The policy change is effective immediately. Face coverings will still be required in University-owned or leased buildings and on Duke transit, unless one is eating, drinking or alone in a confined room or vehicle.

The new policy is consistent with Centers for Disease Control and North Carolina guidelines, per the email. The outdoor mask mandate was lifted statewide effective Friday, April 30.

“Vaccination and masking are the most effective means of protecting yourself and others from COVID-19 and will be key to getting us beyond this pandemic,” Kornbluth and Cavanaugh wrote.

While the new policy applies to everyone regardless of vaccination status, Kornbluth and Cavanaugh encouraged members of the Duke Community to receive COVID-19 vaccinations through the Duke Employee Vaccination Clinic or Duke Student Health. 

This is a developing story and will be updated when more information is available.

Share and discuss “Duke lifts outdoor mask mandate” on social media.