Grant Hill selected as next USA Basketball Men's National Team managing director

Hill will succeed current managing director Jerry Colangelo following the Tokyo Olympics.

Duke continues to leave its imprint on USA Basketball.

Former Duke star Grant Hill was approved Saturday by the USA Basketball Board of Directors as the next managing director of the Men's National Team. Hill will succeed current managing director Jerry Colangelo following the Tokyo Olympics, which are still slated to take place this summer.

“It is a tremendous honor to serve as managing director of USA Basketball’s Men’s National Team. I am looking forward to working with the USA Basketball staff and Board of Directors to lead this organization so uniquely positioned for continued growth and for developing and promoting our top talent in events around the world,” Hill said in USA Basketball's release. “As a member of the 1996 Dream Team, I know the thrill and responsibility it is to represent our country. I am confident USA Basketball will continue to showcase the top talent and highest character players in our country.”

Colangelo took over the new role of managing director in 2005, a year after the Men's National Team's disappointing bronze medal finish in the 2004 Olympics. After Colangelo was hired, the team won three consecutive gold medals in Olympic competition.

One of the catalysts of that newfound success was Colangelo's hiring of Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski as the head coach of the Men's National Team. Krzyzewski assumed that role from 2005 through the 2016 Olympics, compiling a 60-1 record during official FIBA or FIBA Americas competitions.

One of Hill's most important tasks will likely be replacing current Men's National Team head coach Gregg Popovich, whenever that time comes.

“We are very excited that Grant Hill will join USA Basketball as our USA Men’s National Team managing director. Grant is a proven leader of consequence and character who will continue to help us achieve on our twin goals of winning international competitions and representing our country with honor," USA Basketball Board of Directors chair and retired General Martin Dempsey said. “In making this announcement, I also want to emphasize how much everyone associated with USA Basketball appreciates Jerry Colangelo for everything he did for USA Basketball over the past 15 years.”

Share and discuss “Grant Hill selected as next USA Basketball Men's National Team managing director” on social media.