COVID-19 cases drop as Duke plans return to in-person classes in fall

Duke’s positive COVID-19 tests for the week of April 12 to April 18 dipped after a slight increase last week, according to data posted Tuesday on Duke’s COVID-19 tracker.

Twenty-six faculty, staff and students tested positive for COVID-19 this week, a drop from the previous week’s total of 39 cases. 

As of April 12, more than 9,000 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine had been administered to students. Provost Sally Kornbluth wrote in an April 16 email that the University anticipates a return to in-person classes with normal classroom density in the fall, with masking and “some level of surveillance testing”.

According to the Keep Learning website, online courses will be offered in the fall for students who cannot return to campus.

Breaking down the numbers

A total of 20,694 tests were conducted, for a positivity rate of 0.13%. Of the 20,694 tests, 18,504 tests were conducted on 11,076 students and 2,190 tests were administered to 1,125 faculty and staff.

Twenty-one out of 18,504 tests conducted on students were positive, for a positivity rate of 0.11%. Five out of 2,190 tests administered on faculty and staff yielded positive results, giving a positivity rate of 0.23%. 

Out of the five positive results from tests conducted on faculty and staff, four were from symptomatic and contact-tracing testing, and one was from surveillance testing. Out of the 21 positive results from student tests, 19 were found through surveillance testing, and two were from tests conducted on symptomatic or contact-traced individuals. 

Eight faculty and staff and 100 students were sent to precautionary quarantine. Four faculty and staff and 120 students were released from quarantine.

Nadia Bey profile
Nadia Bey | Digital Strategy Director

Nadia Bey, Trinity '23, was managing editor for The Chronicle's 117th volume and digital strategy director for Volume 118.

Anna Zolotor profile
Anna Zolotor

Anna Zolotor is a Trinity senior and recruitment chair for The Chronicle's 118th volume. She was previously news editor for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “COVID-19 cases drop as Duke plans return to in-person classes in fall” on social media.