The last year of Duke life, through the eyes of the community

As the year draws to a close, we’ve asked members of the Duke community to send in their photos and videos from a year like no other in Duke’s history. 

Take a look at your classmates, professors and friends as they navigated the last year. We hope that this compilation shows you the diversity of experience that Blue Devils had, and at the same time the common elements we share. Regardless of where we were, we were all part of life at Duke. 

Life in and Duke and Durham

At the same time that Duke was going through changes, Durham was too. From a masked birthday party to a woman pumping her fist in celebration after the presidential election, see what people did while at Duke and in Durham.

Video edited by Mason Berger.

Learning carries on

From making Spanish food from behind a Zoom screen to assembling drones outside, classes and academic programs adapted to the realities of the pandemic.

...

The sights of campus

Some features of campus never change. Find such staples as the Sarah P. Duke Gardens and the beloved golden retriever Nugget, and see the photos people took of themselves on a campus changed by the pandemic. 

...

Matthew Griffin

Matthew Griffin was editor-in-chief of The Chronicle's 116th volume.

Maria Morrison profile
Maria Morrison

Maria Morrison is a Trinity senior and a digital strategy director for The Chronicle's 117th volume. She was previously managing editor for Volume 116.

Share and discuss “The last year of Duke life, through the eyes of the community” on social media.