Flo Milli, Dayglow to headline virtual LDOC concert

<p>Flo Milli will be the first Black woman to ever headline LDOC.&nbsp;</p>

Flo Milli will be the first Black woman to ever headline LDOC. 

Flo Milli and Dayglow will perform a virtual concert at the annual Last Day of Classes concert on April 23, according to a video release from the DUU LDOC Committee.

Tamia Monique Carter, who goes by Flo Milli, will headline the concert. A rapper and songwriter from Mobile, Alabama, her style has been described as “fresh, in-your-face and full of female empowerment,” and she is known for her unapologetic and confident lyricism. 

Flo Milli first released “Beef FloMix” in October 2018. The song went viral on the social media app TikTok in April 2019, which helped launch her career. She has released six solo singles and appeared on three as a featured artist, finally releasing her debut EP “Ho, why is you here?” in July 2020.

Sloan Struble, known as Dayglow, is a singer, songwriter and producer from Aledo, Texas. A combination of alternative and indie pop, his music draws from the “upbeat, groovy style” of artists such as Tame Impala and Michael Jackson. 

Dayglow released his album “Fuzzybrain” in 2019, which features his hit song “Can I Call You Tonight?” The song has been streamed more than 192 million times on Spotify. He is set to release his next project “Harmony House” in May 2021.

Junior Max Miller and senior Aaliyah Butcher are the co-chairs of the 2020-21 LDOC Committee. Miller wrote in an email to The Chronicle that he is “feeling so happy about our lineup” and that the artists “seemed to just mesh with our vision of LDOC immediately.”

“For us, it was super important to find an artist in the heat of their career to ensure that we had a lineup students are currently excited for and could look back on fondly,” Miller wrote. 

He added that Flo Milli is the first Black woman to ever headline LDOC.

Butcher echoed Miller’s sentiments, writing that “for seniors, this isn’t how we imagined our final year at Duke, but [she and Miller] have been working with the LDOC Committee and Duke administration to create a memorable LDOC experience.”

Miller wrote that the committee is finalizing plans for daytime programming on LDOC. While he noted that it will look different this year, he wrote that the LDOC Committee worked hard to “ensure that at the core, the experience of togetherness and community feels the same.”

Leah Boyd profile
Leah Boyd

Leah Boyd is a Pratt senior and a social chair of The Chronicle's 118th volume. She was previously editor-in-chief for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “Flo Milli, Dayglow to headline virtual LDOC concert” on social media.