Duke graduate schools maintain high rankings in U.S. News and World Report

U.S. News and World Report announced their 2022 rankings for the best graduate schools earlier this week, with more than a dozen Duke programs cracking the top 20. 

The 2022 rankings evaluate graduate school programs in law, business, medicine, engineering, nursing and education. They are based on “expert opinions about program excellence” and statistics about the quality of the school’s faculty, research and students.

Duke’s Fuqua School of Business was ranked No. 12, the same ranking it received from U.S. News in 2021. Fuqua performed well in the speciality rankings as well, ranking fifth in marketing and seventh in its executive masters in business administration program.

The School of Law was tied at No. 10 with the Law School at University of Michigan–Ann Arbor, the same ranking it received for 2020, the last time The Chronicle reported on the data. It also performed within the top 10 in some speciality rankings, including being tied for ninth in constitutional law and tied for 10th in international law.

Duke’s School of Medicine was ranked No. 3 in the best medical schools for research after being ranked 13th in 2020. Its surgery program was ranked second, with anesthesiology ranked fourth and internal medicine ranked fifth.

The Pratt School of Engineering was ranked No. 24 for its graduate program—its highest score ever and the same ranking as in 2020—and is tied for No. 3 in biomedical engineering/bioengineering.

Duke’s School of Nursing was tied for No. 3 with the University of Pennsylvania for its master’s of science in nursing program. It was ranked No. 4 for its doctor of nursing practice and had ten specialty programs ranked first, including DNP administration/management and DNP nurse practitioner: family.

The Sanford School of Public Policy was tied with five other institutions for No. 19 in best public affairs programs. It received a 6th place ranking in public policy analysis—dropping from its No. 5 rank in 2020—and social policy and ranked third for environmental policy and management.

Here’s how some of Duke’s other graduate programs fared:

• No. 1 (tie) in physician assistant
  • No. 7 (tie) in physical therapy
  • No. 10 (tie) in biological sciences
  • No. 10 (tie) in political science
  • No. 12 (tie) in statistics
  • No. 13 (tie) in English
  • No. 13 (tie) in sociology
  • No. 16 (tie) in economics
  • No. 16 (tie) in mathematics
  • No. 17 (tie) in psychology
  • No. 18 (tie) in clinical psychology
  • No. 18 (tie) in history
  • No. 25 (tie) in computer science
  • No. 28 (tie) in physics
  • No. 32 (tie) in chemistry
  • No. 46 (tie) in earth sciences

The data for the rankings comes from surveys of more than 2,125 programs and reputation surveys sent to more than 23,000 academics and professionals. Peer assessment data is also attained by asking deans, program directors and senior faculty to rate the academic quality of their respective programs on a scale of one to five.

Leah Boyd is a university news editor.

Leah Boyd profile
Leah Boyd

Leah Boyd is a Pratt senior and a social chair of The Chronicle's 118th volume. She was previously editor-in-chief for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “Duke graduate schools maintain high rankings in U.S. News and World Report” on social media.