COVID-19 cases at Duke decline for third straight week

Duke’s positive COVID-19 tests have decreased for three weeks in a row since a stay-in-place order was imposed on all undergraduates, according to data posted Tuesday on Duke’s COVID-19 tracker.

Thirty students, faculty and staff tested positive for COVID-19 from March 29 to April 4, down from the previous week’s 43 cases. A total of 21,271 tests were conducted this week, for a positivity rate of 0.14%. 

Of the 30 positives, 15 were from the 18,972 student tests, for a positivity rate of 0.08%. With 15 of 2,299 faculty and staff tests yielding positive results, this group had a higher positivity rate of 0.65%. 

Thirteen out of the 15 positive faculty and staff tests were connected to the outbreak in the East Campus Union, according to a news release

Duke announced March 27 that the East Campus Union would be temporarily closed due to a coronavirus outbreak among dining staff. The building will reopen Monday, April 12, Student Affairs wrote in a Sunday email.

Eighty-eight tests were administered to students who were contact traced or reported symptoms, with three positive results. All 15 positive faculty and staff tests came from 132 symptomatic or contact-traced tests. 

Twenty-four faculty and staff and 79 students were sent to precautionary quarantine. Twenty-five faculty and staff and 83 students were released from quarantine. 

Anna Zolotor profile
Anna Zolotor

Anna Zolotor is a Trinity senior and recruitment chair for The Chronicle's 118th volume. She was previously news editor for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “COVID-19 cases at Duke decline for third straight week” on social media.