Duke men's basketball's Mark Williams announces he will return for sophomore season

Big man Mark Williams posted double-digit points in the last four games of the season.

The big man is back.

After question marks around whether or not Mark Williams would be returning to Durham for his sophomore season, Williams announced via Twitter and Instagram he would be coming back for a second go-around with the Blue Devils. The Virginia native averaged 7.1 points and 4.5 rebounds per game this season, but those numbers do not accurately reflect the tear he went on to end the season. 

Williams started off the year largely as a reserve, filling in to spell forward Matthew Hurt when the latter got into foul trouble. But as the year progressed, so did Williams, and by the time the final stretch of ACC play came around, Williams started turning in double-digit scoring performances on a regular basis. 

Duke fans’ dream of a frontcourt featuring Williams and incoming freshman Paolo Banchero can now officially happen, and with the size of strength of both in the paint, Duke is shaping up to have a frontcourt that will pose problems for its opponents. 

Jake C. Piazza

Jake Piazza is a Trinity senior and was sports editor of The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball's Mark Williams announces he will return for sophomore season” on social media.