Sportswrap: Duke women's golf takes home ACC title, men's lacrosse wins another thriller

<p>Junior Gina Kim secured the individual ACC title while also sinking the clinching put for the team championship.</p>

Junior Gina Kim secured the individual ACC title while also sinking the clinching put for the team championship.

Sportswrap is your one-stop shop for everything Duke athletics, where we’ll recap how each of Duke’s sports currently in competition performed over the last week and give a brief look ahead. Here’s our recap for the week of April 14-19.

Women’s golf 

Add some more hardware to the Blue Devils’ trophy case. Duke wrapped up its 22nd ACC title in program history Sunday, sweeping No. 9 Florida State in the match-play finals. The team victory was the sequel to junior Gina Kim’s 10-under performance in the stroke-play portion earlier in the week, where she netted individual first-place honors. Now, the third-ranked Blue Devils get some time off from competition before the NCAA regionals, which start May 10. -Max Rego

Men’s lacrosse 

More overtime heroics from senior captain Joe Robertson nabbed the then-fourth-ranked Blue Devils a 13-12 win against then-No. 3 Virginia last Thursday in their fourth consecutive top-five matchup. Standout performances from freshman Brennan O’Neill and goalie Mike Adler helped the team rebound after being handed its first loss of the season by Notre Dame the weekend before. Now-No. 3 Duke (11-1, 3-1 in the ACC), will have a rematch with the second-ranked Fighting Irish at home this upcoming Thursday. -Sasha Richie

Women’s tennis

The 16th-ranked Blue Devils secured a Senior Day win Sunday against Wake Forest at Ambler Tennis Stadium. Graduate student Meible Chi, who is now fifth in all-time singles wins at Duke (14-5, 9-4), narrowly won a critical second set to win the match for the Blue Devils. Next up for the team is the ACC tournament in Rome, Ga., with No. 5 seed Duke's first match coming this Thursday. -Campbell Lawson

Men’s tennis 

Duke wrapped up its regular season on a high note, beating Florida State and Miami to lock in the No. 7 seed in the ACC tournament. Sean Sculley returned to the lineup with a win, Andrew Zhang and Michael Heller got two wins each and Garrett Johns beat the No. 34 player in the country. No. 10 seed Louisville awaits the Blue Devils (11-9, 6-5) in Rome for Duke's first ACC tournament match Thursday. -Em Adler

Track and field 

Duke had multiple stellar individual displays at the Virginia Challenge, but it was senior Lauren Hoffman who found her way into the top spot in the program record books. Hoffman came in second in the 400m hurdles at 57.54 seconds, breaking the school record in the process. The Blue Devils now head over to the Queen City for the Charlotte Invitational April 23-24. -Rego

Softball

The 24th-ranked Blue Devils hit the reset button to end a 1-9 stretch with a series victory against Louisville. An offensive explosion propelled Duke (30-10, 15-4) to a dramatic extra-inning win Sunday, with Gisele Tapia and Peyton St. George sealing the deal on the road. The Blue Devils will look to keep the losing run in the past as they prepare for rival North Carolina this weekend. -Micah Hurewitz

Baseball 

It’s been a rocky year, but Duke just keeps on fighting. After getting walloped 11-0 Friday night, the Blue Devils (16-16, 8-13) bounced back with Saturday and Sunday wins to steal the series from Wake Forest. Next on Duke’s slate is a Tuesday matchup with Liberty in Lynchburg, Va. -Jake Piazza

Women’s lacrosse 

The seventh-ranked Blue Devils beat Virginia Tech 13-7 to secure their second victory of the season against the Hokies. In contrast to the first matchup, the outcome of this one was never really in doubt, as Duke (9-5, 4-5) led wire-to-wire. This win pushed the Blue Devil win streak to three, tying their longest of the season. Next up is an opportunity for revenge against No. 1 North Carolina at Koskinen Stadium Friday to close out the regular season. -Jonathan Browning

Field hockey

No. 14 Duke made a late attempt at the comeback in its last regular season game against No. 10 Boston College this past Saturday, but fell short 2-1. With this year’s NCAA tournament being only 12 teams instead of the usual 16, and 10 of the 12 bids being automatic, it does not look like the Blue Devils (4-12, 2-4) will be getting a bid to the NCAA tournament. -Piazza

Sports that did not compete this week:

Duke Rowing was set to compete in the Big Ten Invite April 17-18, but did not compete due to Duke’s health and safety protocols. The race still went on with all other teams participating. 

Duke women’s soccer didn’t play this past week, but it did receive an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament as the No. 9 seed. The team is set to play its first tournament game May 1. 

Share and discuss “Sportswrap: Duke women's golf takes home ACC title, men's lacrosse wins another thriller” on social media.