Sportswrap: Duke men's lacrosse with more overtime heroics, softball sweeps North Carolina

Duke men's lacrosse's last three wins have all came in overtime.

Sportswrap is your one-stop shop for everything Duke athletics, where we’ll recap how each of Duke’s sports currently in competition performed over the last week and give a brief look ahead. Here’s our recap for the week of April 20-26.

Men’s lacrosse 

No. 2 Duke fell behind early this past Thursday against No. 4 Notre Dame, but behind the late-game heroics of Michael Sowers and the overtime winner via unlikely hero Cameron Mulé, the Blue Devils (12-1, 4-1 in the ACC) secured the miraculous 13-12 win. Head coach John Danowski and company conclude the regular season at No. 3 North Carolina this Sunday. -Evan Kolin 

Softball

Head coach Marissa Young defeated her former team in both dominant and dramatic fashion as the No. 24 Blue Devils took down rival North Carolina with the help of Jameson Kavel’s late-game heroics. Now Duke will try to keep the seven-game win streak alive heading into the final conference series of the year. Their next matchup is against Campbell May 5 before taking on N.C. State that following weekend. -Micah Hurewitz

Women’s lacrosse

In its final game of the regular season, No. 6 Duke lost a 12-11 heartbreaker at home to No. 1 North Carolina. The Blue Devils (15-6, 9-4) will head into the ACC tournament as the No. 5 seed set to face No. 4-seed Notre Dame, who they lost to earlier in the season. -Jonathan Browning

Women’s tennis 

No. 5-seed Duke entered the ACC tournament and faced No. 12-seed Louisville in the second round Thursday, easily winning 4-0. The next day the Blue Devils played No. 4-seed Virginia and lost the doubles point en route to a 4-2 loss. They await a likely NCAA tournament bid May 3. -Campbell Lawson

Men’s tennis 

Similar to the women’s team, No. 10-seed Duke dropped the quarterfinal match of the ACC tournament 4-0 to No. 2-seed Wake Forest. The matches were actually quite close, capping off an April surge that has the Blue Devils expecting to hear their name called for an at-large NCAA tournament bid May 3. -Em Adler

Men’s golf 

The Blue Devils traveled to Milton, Ga., for the ACC Championship this past weekend, notching a disappointing eighth place finish out of the talented 12-team field. Despite an underwhelming team performance, freshman Ian Siebers shined with a two-under weekend, earning himself 10th place. The team will likely qualify for the NCAA regional qualifiers taking place May 17-19, keeping their postseason hopes alive.- Matthew Hawkins

Baseball 

Duke is at a crossroads in its season, and after dropping its series against Virginia two games to one, the Blue Devils (18-18, 9-15) are very much in a spot where they need to treat every game like an elimination contest to make the NCAA tournament. Their next ball game will be May 4 against William & Mary. -Jake Piazza

Track and field 

The Blue Devils impressed in their penultimate regular-season meet at the Charlotte Invitational over the weekend, with eight events featuring Duke competitors in the top spot. Graduate student Cha’Mia Rothwell picked up first place honors in two events, winning the 100m hurdles and 200m. Next up for the Blue Devils is the Duke Twilight event, which is set for May 3. -Max Rego

Rowing 

No. 13 Duke narrowly edged out Clemson to win the Lake Wheeler Invitational this weekend in Raleigh, N.C. The Blue Devils won the Varsity Eight, Third Varsity Eight and Second Varsity Four categories, and will compete in the ACC Championship May 14-15. 

Sports that did not compete this past week:

Duke women's golf will be on hiatus until May 10-12 when it will play in the NCAA regionals.

Duke women's soccer is slated for its first NCAA tournament game May 1 in Greenville, N.C.

Share and discuss “Sportswrap: Duke men's lacrosse with more overtime heroics, softball sweeps North Carolina” on social media.