Sportswrap: Duke men's lacrosse's perfect season ends, field hockey snags win in shootout

Duke goalkeeper Piper Hampsch had seven saves against No. 3 Louisville Saturday.

Sportswrap is your one-stop shop for everything Duke athletics, where we’ll recap how each of Duke’s sports currently in competition performed over the last week and give a brief look ahead. Here’s our recap for the week of April 6-13.

Men’s lacrosse

The Blue Devils fell to No. 4 in the polls after being handed their first loss of the season in a road match against now-No. 2 Notre Dame Saturday. Duke (10-1, 2-1 in the ACC) fell 13-8 after being outshot 44-36 despite winning 16-of-23 faceoffs, one of the brutal loss’ only saving graces. The Blue Devils will look to rebound in their fourth straight top-five matchup against No. 3 Virginia Thursday. -Sasha Richie

Women’s lacrosse 

The eight-ranked Blue Devils picked up a much-needed 12-10 victory against No. 15 Louisville Thursday. Goalie Sophia LeRose had a career-high 14 saves, 13 of which were in a frantic second half. Duke (8-5, 3-5)  beat Liberty 18-6 Tuesday evening, led by the team’s characteristically diverse attack. -Campbell Lawson

Men’s soccer

Duke men’s soccer concluded its regular season Sunday with a 1-0 loss to No. 15 North Carolina and with the Coastal division title out of reach, this brings an end to the rollercoaster 2020-21 season. Duke (4-10-3, 4-6-1) will be losing six seniors, who were at least able to play their last game in Koskinen Stadium against the Tar Heels. -Alex Jackson

Women’s soccer 

Despite dominating a one-sided affair, the ninth-ranked Blue Devils weren’t able to notch a win against No. 14 Vanderbilt. Duke (10-5-3, 4-2-2) roundly out-shot, out-corner-kicked and out-possessed the Commodores, but never broke through en route to a 0-0 draw. The Blue Devils will await their College Cup selection seeding next Monday. -Em Adler

Men’s golf 

Though the Blue Devils finished just sixth in a competitive field of 12 teams in the Stitch Intercollegiate tournament this past weekend, they found a bright spot in freshman Ian Siebers. The Washington native broke the freshman tournament scoring record with a 13-under 203, finishing in a tie for third individually. Duke now heads into the postseason, with the ACC tournament starting April 23. -Matthew Hawkins

Women’s golf 

The third-ranked Blue Devils were able to rally behind senior Jaravee Boonchant and sophomore Erica Shepherd at the Cavalier Match Play in Charlottesville, Va., last week. Boonchant and Shepherd were the only Blue Devils to win all three of their matches, paving the way for a first-place finish to close out the regular season. Duke will look to carry this momentum to the ACC Championship, which starts April 15. -Eric Gim 

Men’s tennis

In ending a tough midseason stretch, Duke started hot against No. 11 Wake Forest, despite injuries and new lineup configurations. It came awfully close to a major upset, but the Blue Devils (9-9, 4-5) had to settle for a moral victory. Florida State and Miami come to Durham to close out the ACC schedule this week. -Adler

Women’s tennis 

In a strong week, the 14th-ranked Blue Devils won two ACC matchups, defeating Boston College 6-1 followed by a 4-3 win against Syracuse. In her singles victory against the Orange, Meible Chi set the Duke record for most ACC singles wins with a total of 42. The Blue Devils (13-5, 8-4) have one more regular season test against Wake Forest Sunday before the ACC tournament. -Hawkins

Baseball 

Duke dropped two of three games in its weekend series with North Carolina, getting demolished by the Tar Heels in the Monday rubber match. The Blue Devils (14-15, 6-12) rebounded quickly Tuesday with a win against Campbell, and will host Wake Forest this upcoming weekend. -Jake Piazza

Softball 

Duke’s bats were once again held quiet, this time by No. 9 Florida State, who shut out the 24th-ranked Blue Devils (27-9, 15-9) twice and won the finale on a walk-off. The sweep may have Duke down, but it will have a chance to bounce back from this recent uncharacteristic 1-8 funk during the final weeks of the season. The Blue Devils next face Louisville starting Friday. -Micah Hurewitz

Track and field

The Blue Devils hosted the Tobacco Road Challenge and Combined Events Meeting last week. The women’s 4x400m relay unit broke the program record—which they had set just days earlier at the Virginia Invitational—with a time of 44.02 seconds. Elsewhere, the men’s 400m featured Duke occupying the top three spots on the leaderboard, as senior Miles Mingo took home first. Next up for Duke is the Virginia Challenge, which starts Friday. -Max Rego

Field hockey

No. 14 Duke finally got its overtime win, pulling off an upset against No. 3 Louisville thanks to a Hannah Miller shootout score. The Blue Devils (4-11, 2-3) will head to Boston College Saturday for their last game of the regular season. -Piazza 

Teams that did not compete this past week: 

Duke rowing did not suit up for action this past week, but the Blue Devils are back at it soon, as the Big Ten Invite takes place April 17-18. 

Share and discuss “Sportswrap: Duke men's lacrosse's perfect season ends, field hockey snags win in shootout” on social media.