Honor council endorses Carlos Diaz for DSG President

endorsement

Duke University Honor Council Executive Board is pleased to formally endorse Carlos Diaz for Duke Student Government President. After hearing from both candidates on March 2nd, we believe Diaz best embodies honor, integrity, and moral courage, the values that define the Duke Honor Council and larger Duke community. 

Diaz has worked as president of Mi Gente and a member of the Student Advisory Board to make Duke more equitable and accessible for students of all backgrounds. One example that he shared with us was his work with the Housing and Residence Life Working Group this summer advocating for protection for workers and housing for Low-Income, First-Generation students.  

The board was impressed by Carlos’s authenticity and clear understanding of the role and importance of honor and integrity on campus. When asked to explain the purpose of Honor Council and how it relates to the role of Student Government President, Carlos emphasized that integrity not only applies to academics and individual responsibilities but also should guide campus organizations, administration, and obligations to the broader Duke community, like adhering to the Duke Compact. 

Moreover, we appreciated Carlos’s commitment to transparency, equity, and accountability within the Duke Student Government. Pertinent components of his platform include his plan to amend the individual senator project model and introduce more collaboration and his objective to more actively seek out feedback from cultural and identity leaders regarding DSG projects. 

Honor Council also recognizes the high moral standards that each of the candidates demonstrated. Honor Council commends Christina Wang’s valuable work on Duke Student Government’s Equity and Outreach Committee and her passion for the Duke community. 

Kelis Johnson 

Trinity College of Arts and Sciences ‘22

Gabi Marushack, Kristin Ankoma-Sey, and Devan Desai are members of Honor Council's Executive Board who recused themselves from this endorsement.

Share and discuss “Honor council endorses Carlos Diaz for DSG President” on social media.