Keeping steady: Weekly COVID-19 cases stable as Duke eases dining restrictions, plans in-person commencement

<p>Test tubes for Duke's self-administered COVID-19 surveillance tests.</p>

Test tubes for Duke's self-administered COVID-19 surveillance tests.

Duke’s COVID-19 positive test results have remained consistent for nearly the past month, with between 20 and 26 positives each week. 

As cases hover in this range, Duke has reopened some indoor dining tables and announced potential plans for an in-person commencement. 

Out of the 23,145 tests conducted on students, faculty and staff during the week of Feb. 22, there were 4 positives among faculty and staff and 22 among students, according to data posted Tuesday on the University’s COVID-19 dashboard.

The total positivity rate was 0.11%, which is slightly lower than the 0.12% rate for the previous week. Nearly 1,500 more tests were conducted during the week from Feb. 22 to Feb. 28 than during the week from Feb. 15 to Feb. 21.

After several months of being limited to outdoor or dorm room dining, students can now eat at a limited amount of one-person standing tables indoors, administrators announced in an email last week. 

Prior to the reopening of these tables, which are located in the Brodhead Center, the Bryan Center, Trinity Café and Marketplace, all indoor dining had been closed since Oct. 30. 

President Vincent Price also announced Tuesday afternoon that the administration is currently tentatively planning an in-person commencement ceremony in Wallace Wade Stadium for the Class of 2021. 

The ceremony will feature strict masking and social distancing, and families will not be permitted to attend, according to Price’s announcement. If COVID-19 improves, the administration may consider hosting a scaled-up version of the current potential plan.

The message also noted that Duke is currently unable to plan an in-person commencement for the Class of 2020, delayed from last year, due to safety considerations and state guidelines related to travel. However, the administration is “exploring possibilities for celebrating [the Class of 2020] sometime after the spring.”

Breaking down Duke’s data

The four positive test results for faculty and staff arose from 2,771 tests, which yields a positivity rate of 0.14%. One result was from surveillance testing and the other three were among people who were symptomatic or contact traced.

The positive results among students arose from 20,374 tests, which yields a positivity rate of approximately 0.11%. Nine of the positive results came from surveillance testing, while the remaining 13 came from contact tracing or reported symptoms.

Twenty-six people were placed in isolation while 21 were released. Eighty-four people entered precautionary quarantine and 105 were released.

Nadia Bey profile
Nadia Bey | Digital Strategy Director

Nadia Bey, Trinity '23, was managing editor for The Chronicle's 117th volume and digital strategy director for Volume 118.

Anna Zolotor profile
Anna Zolotor

Anna Zolotor is a Trinity senior and recruitment chair for The Chronicle's 118th volume. She was previously news editor for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “Keeping steady: Weekly COVID-19 cases stable as Duke eases dining restrictions, plans in-person commencement” on social media.