Duke to stay test-optional for 2021-22 admissions due to COVID-19

Duke will remain test-optional for the 2021-22 application cycle, Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Christoph Guttentag wrote in a Wednesday announcement.

The decision was made based on the “the uncertainty of testing availability in 2021 and the continued disruptions related to COVID-19,” the announcement states, and students who choose not to submit standardized test scored will not be disadvantaged in the admissions process.

The policy covers both first-year applicants and transfer applicants. 

Duke will still consider SAT and ACT scores from students who submit them, the announcement states, and will continue to accept self-reported scores. Scores from testing agencies will only be required from matriculating students.

“We will continue to assess the future role of standardized tests in our admissions process, particularly with respect to the impact of these tests on our ability to recruit and enroll students from historically excluded backgrounds,” Guttentag wrote.

Duke first became test-optional last year during the 2020-21 admissions cycle as a result of the “disruptive effects of COVID-19.” 

Preetha Ramachandran profile
Preetha Ramachandran | Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Coordinator

Preetha Ramachandran is a Trinity senior and diversity, equity and inclusion coordinator for The Chronicle's 118th volume. She was previously senior editor for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “Duke to stay test-optional for 2021-22 admissions due to COVID-19” on social media.