Registration opens for students to get COVID-19 vaccines

Registration is now open for students to get the COVID-19 vaccine through Duke. 

Duke announced last week that students in the Durham area would be eligible to receive a COVID-19 vaccine starting April 1. Now the University is rolling out its registration system, according to a March 29 email to students from Duke Student Health and Duke Employee Occupational Health and Wellness.

“Vaccination against the COVID-19 virus is optional, but we strongly encourage you to do so to help protect you and your loved ones,” the email stated.

Duke’s vaccination process includes two steps. Students must register with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS) COVID-19 Vaccine Management System, then sign up for an appointment through Duke’s system.  

Students who want to sign up for the shot should look out for an email from NCDHHS. Duke uploaded students’ information to the state database, according to the email. 

After registering with the NCDHHS system, students will be eligible to make an appointment with Duke. There are limited slots, which will be updated at least weekly with new appointments.

Meanwhile, the email asked that students who have already been vaccinated email Student Health their vaccination records so that the information can be added to their health record.

Under the University’s rollout plan, all currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students in the Durham area will receive the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, which only requires one dose for full effectiveness. However, that doesn’t mean that vaccinated students will be exempt from Duke’s safety guidelines.

“Since the vaccine does not reach its full strength until two weeks after it is administered, and because it’s possible that vaccinated persons may still transmit the virus to others, all students must continue to follow Duke Compact and behavioral guidelines for the remainder of the semester,” last week’s email stated.

Share and discuss “Registration opens for students to get COVID-19 vaccines” on social media.