Duke still plans for stay-in-place order to last until 9 a.m. Sunday

Duke currently plans for its stay-in-place order to last through 9 a.m. Sunday as originally announced, wrote Gary Bennett, vice provost of undergraduate education; Mary Pat McMahon, vice provost of student affairs; and John Blackshear, associate vice president for student affairs and dean of students, in a Thursday evening email to undergraduates.

The email states that testing conducted in the first three days of the stay-in-place showed 54 positive cases, down from 107 cases in the same period last week. 

“I know this is a very disappointing and unpleasant situation, but it’s important that we all stay united as one Duke in this effort,” President Vincent Price said in a video message to undergraduate students. “It’s also important that you take time to look out for yourself and your health. Please take care; get some sleep, get some exercise and be sure to eat well.” 

The email reminds students that they are expected to stay in Durham throughout the semester and anyone who needs to travel must adhere to return guidance on the University’s Keep Learning site. 

“We remain cautiously optimistic that this pause will help us get through this uptick in COVID cases but we need you to stay vigilant,” administrators wrote. “Let’s maintain the health of our fellow students and neighbors, and support our seniors on the way to graduation.”

This is a developing story and will be updated.

Share and discuss “Duke still plans for stay-in-place order to last until 9 a.m. Sunday” on social media.