Duke NAACP endorses Carlos Diaz for DSG President

endorsement

As the Duke Chapter of the NAACP, we have the responsibility to endorse the candidate that we believe upholds our mission of uplifting Black and Brown people at Duke and in Durham. 

We met with both candidates on March 7rd and were inspired by both Christina Wang and Carlos Diaz. After careful consideration of both of the candidates' platforms and visions, we are more than excited to endorse Carlos for President of Duke Student Government (DSG), as he seeks to agitate for real change at Duke.

Carlos' time at Duke has been dedicated in service to others, including his leadership with Mi Gente as President and his involvement with the Student Advisory Board on reopening campus this year. His multi-dimensional platform with clear pathways demonstrates he possesses not only the vision for a better Duke but has also thoughtfully planned how to bring these ideas into fruition. 

We believe Carlos represents a university that centers the needs, dreams, and ideas of those whose voices have historically been silenced at Duke and neglected by student government. His perspective outside of DSG lends him a critical eye that will be instrumental for transforming DSG into an organization that not only brings diverse student voices to the table but also questions why more of us aren't in the room and challenges administration to do better. 

Carlos' genuine passion, honesty, and love for community is what makes us proud to endorse him. He comes prepared to re-imagine what both DSG and Duke can look like, and we are hopeful that he will bring much needed change. For these reasons, we see Carlos as the best suited candidate to lead DSG through the challenging but necessary work ahead. Work we believe will be collective, inclusive, and transformative.  

Liyu Woldemichael,

Trinity College of Arts and Sciences ‘22

Share and discuss “Duke NAACP endorses Carlos Diaz for DSG President” on social media.