Duke men's basketball 2020-21 player review: Mike Buckmire

Senior Mike Buckmire scored his only points of the season against Clemson.

Mike Buckmire

Season breakdown: In his final year at Duke, Buckmire posted a similar stat line to previous seasons and provided an exciting moment near the end of a blowout victory. The Pennsylvania native scored his only points of the season on a putback layup during the Blue Devils’ 79-53 win against Clemson back in January, a fitting end to what was one of Duke’s most impressive displays of the ACC slate. Interestingly, another one of Buckmire’s appearances came near the end of the first half in a road loss to Virginia Tech earlier that month, albeit for less than a minute. While Buckmire never had a breakout game a la Justin Robinson, he remained a fan favorite and a valuable leader within the program. 

With Jeremy Roach and DJ Steward entering into the fray this season, Buckmire—along with fellow senior guard Jordan Goldwire—assuredly played a role in helping the two youngsters adjust to college basketball. Ultimately, what defined Buckmire’s role was intangible, as the Germantown Friends School alum provided a steady head from the sidelines. 

Results relative to expectations: Buckmire did not appear in as many games as anticipated, but that did not have much to do with his actual on-court performance. In this unusual season, the Blue Devils played in seven fewer games than 2019-20, including only four nonconference games. 

The relative lack of opponents from outside the ACC meant that Duke was unable to rack up a significant amount of stress-free victories. When it came to conference play, the Blue Devils took part in 11 single-digit affairs, so Buckmire just did not have many avenues for late-game action. The senior always had a presence, though, providing guidance for some of Duke’s younger standouts. In reflecting upon his time as a Blue Devil, Buckmire expressed appreciation for the fact that his teammates, the coaching staff and the fanbase fully embraced him as a member of the Duke family.  

Max Rego profile
Max Rego

Max Rego is a Trinity senior and an associate sports editor for The Chronicle's 118th volume. He was previously sports managing editor for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball 2020-21 player review: Mike Buckmire ” on social media.