Duke cost of attendance to increase 3.5% for next academic year

This story was updated Sunday night with information from President Vincent Price about Duke's decision to increase tuition and the ways the University offers students financial support.

The Board of Trustees approved a 3.5% increase to Duke's undergraduate cost of attendance in its quarterly meeting, which concluded Saturday. 

The total cost of attendance will be $76,270 for the 2021-22 academic year, according to a Saturday news release. Tuition will be $58,085, a 3.9% increase. 

Duke canceled a planned 3.9% tuition increase in 2020 amid the coronavirus pandemic, as well as cutting some student fees.

President Vincent Price told The Chronicle in a Sunday interview that it was important for Duke to have enough revenue to return to its normal operations next year, as administrators hope will be possible. 

"It's important for us to have the revenues to maintain the high-quality programs we have," Price said. "I wouldn't want to see us pull back programmatically on what we're offering our students."

Price noted that Duke will continue offering additional financial aid as needed, as the University increases its financial aid spending when students' need increases. He said the University will also continue to offer additional financial support to students in need.

Duke is looking at ways to support students during this summer, which will be "a transitional summer in many respects," he noted.

Matthew Griffin

Matthew Griffin was editor-in-chief of The Chronicle's 116th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke cost of attendance to increase 3.5% for next academic year” on social media.