SLGs to have sections in Edens in 2021-22 academic year

<p>&nbsp;</p>

All Greek and non-Greek selective living groups “in good standing with the university” will have the option to live in Edens Quad for the 2021-22 academic year. 

In a Wednesday email to undergraduate students in selective living organizations, Deb LoBiondo, interim dean for residence life, and Christopher Rossi, assistant vice president of student affairs for strategic engagement, wrote that Edens Quad was selected for SLG housing “because of its architecture and footprint.”

“Edens Quad's pod-style layout allows groups to have more tight-knit and semi-private space, while also providing groups of differing sizes space that accommodates their particular needs—even in the midst of the pandemic,” the email read. 

Greek and non-Greek SLGs do not have campus housing during the current academic year, part of Duke’s effort to reduce the number of people living in residential buildings. 

LoBiondo and Rossi wrote that the decision to give groups housing in Edens is consistent with the guidelines outlined by the Next Generation Living and Learning 2.0 Committee, which included that Greek and non-Greek SLGs would return in 2021-22 but “shift away from Abele Quad” as Duke establishes a residential community system. 

Decisions about subsequent years will be made “as part of the Next Gen 2.0 Committee’s work,” LoBiondo and Rossi wrote.

They added that Housing and Residence Life will not force all SLGs to have campus housing if the group “does not need or require it.” 

All SLGs were asked to complete a form to share their intent regarding housing by Feb. 19 at 5 p.m.

The decision comes after January emails to Greek and non-Greek SLGs that they will be allowed to hold virtual recruitment for sophomores, junior and seniors in the spring 2021 semester, though most groups are not allowed to recruit first-years.

Mona Tong profile
Mona Tong

Mona Tong is a Trinity senior and director of diversity, equity and inclusion analytics for The Chronicle's 117th volume. She was previously news editor for Volume 116.

Share and discuss “SLGs to have sections in Edens in 2021-22 academic year” on social media.