Jake Piazza unanimously elected Chronicle sports editor of Vol. 117

In a department-wide meeting over Zoom Friday night, Jake Piazza was unanimously elected to serve as sports editor of The Chronicle’s 117th volume.

Piazza, a sophomore from Simi Valley, Ca., officially received the nod to replace Evan Kolin starting April 22, the day before Duke’s last day of classes for the 2021 spring term.

“I am extremely excited and honored to be our sports editor next year,” Piazza said. “Being a part of this department has meant so much to me these past two years, and I’m looking forward to giving future writers the same experience that I was so fortunate to have.”

In his platform, Piazza expressed a desire to develop a strong community within the department, something that he feels will generate increased engagement with newer writers. On the reporting side, Piazza plans to incorporate more of a focus on feature stories to give a unique insight into Duke athletics. He also outlined his plans to expand coverage of Duke sports to video and audio formats.

"What jumps out about Jake is his passion for journalism as well as his passion for The Chronicle," Kolin said. "It's been a pleasure watching him grow as a writer, reporter and leader, and there's absolutely no doubt in my mind he'll be a fantastic sports editor."

Piazza is currently serving as Blue Zone editor this year alongside Assistant Blue Zone Editors Alex Jackson and Max Rego. He has covered a multitude of Duke sports during his time on campus, serving as a beat writer for women’s basketball, baseball, football and men’s basketball. Piazza has also covered volleyball, field hockey and women’s soccer.

“I can remember back to the first day Jake joined our department thinking that he had an incredibly bright future ahead of him,” V. 115 Sports Editor Derek Saul said. “Since day one, he has been wholly committed to growing as a journalist, and I can’t wait to see the new heights that he will take our section to."

Piazza is pursuing a major in Economics with a finance concentration and a certificate in policy, journalism and media studies. 

“I am very passionate about what we do as a sports section and what the Chronicle does as a newspaper,” Piazza said. “Being sports editor is not something I will take lightly, and I can’t wait to be a small part of the historic legacy of this paper.”

Max Rego profile
Max Rego

Max Rego is a Trinity senior and an associate sports editor for The Chronicle's 118th volume. He was previously sports managing editor for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “Jake Piazza unanimously elected Chronicle sports editor of Vol. 117” on social media.