Duke men's basketball looking to get back on track in rivalry matchup with North Carolina

Jalen Johnson will look to leave his mark on the Tobacco Road rivalry Saturday.

Among many other factors, the inconsistencies of both Duke and North Carolina this season have toned down the traditional hype of the Tobacco Road rivalry, but that is precisely why this year's game is a must-watch. 

These two historic blue bloods have become a staple of college basketball, and while Saturday's 6 p.m. matchup in Cameron Indoor Stadium may not feature two ranked teams, it easily makes up for it with NCAA tournament implications for both squads hanging in the balance.

And just to make waters even more uncharted, the Cameron Crazies will not be in attendance.

“The buzz and the energy that you get from a crowd like that is amazing, and what has to happen is we have to get a certain level of energy without that,” Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski said.

Losses in Cameron Indoor are uncommon for the Blue Devils (7-6, 5-4 in the ACC), who haven't dropped more than two games at home across a season since 2015-16. However, Duke's two home losses this year have already put that streak in jeopardy.

The difference between a win and a loss Saturday night may very well be the battle in the paint. North Carolina (11-6, 6-4 in the ACC) has a dangerous combination of talent and experience in forwards Armando Bacot and Garrison Brooks, who both average double-digit points and over seven rebounds per game. 

Alongside the sophomore Bacot and junior Brooks in the Tar Heel frontcourt are freshmen Day’Ron Sharpe and Walker Kessler, who each have a great deal of size and talent.

“They have four big guys that are really talented," Duke forward Matthew Hurt said. "We have to be mentally prepared for the physicality. They're gonna try to get the ball inside."

North Carolina rebounds an astounding 40% of its misses, and after Duke gave up 11 offensive rebounds against Miami, there’s a good chance the Tar Heels are going to have another big game on the boards Saturday.

“That’s an advantage they have over us," Krzyzewski said. "They’re bigger and more experienced."

Speaking of bigs, Mark Williams’ opportunity to step up in this game cannot be overstated. The 7-foot freshman, who's garnered increasing playing time in recent games, will be one of the first in line to attempt to contain North Carolina’s dominant forwards.

In addition to Williams, fellow Blue Devil freshmen DJ Steward, Jalen Johnson and Jeremy Roach have all played double-digit minutes in the team's last three games, and can be expected to do the same Saturday in a battle between two of the younger teams in the country.

“I'm going to have a lot of energy," Steward said. "I know the guys are going to have a lot of energy. This is a very big-time game, and we are coming off a tough loss, so it's gonna be a time to turn things around, play together, play the right way."

Steward and Roach find themselves in an exciting battle against North Carolina freshmen guards Caleb Love, Kerwin Walton and RJ Davis. The Tar Heel trio has struggled this season, but this rivalry game always seems to bring the best out of someone.

“They've developed really well, and they have those veteran bigs to play with,” Krzyzewski said of the North Carolina guards.

Krzyzewskiville may not have the usual hundreds of students living in tents—and neither team’s record is spectacular—but let it be known that this is still Duke-UNC, arguably the best rivalry in sports. 

And the result of this season’s game, more than ever, matters for much more than just bragging rights. 

Editor's note: This article is one of many in The Chronicle and The Daily Tar Heel's annual rivalry edition. Find the rest here.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball looking to get back on track in rivalry matchup with North Carolina” on social media.