Red Wilson, former Duke football head coach, dies at age 95

Wilson served as Duke's head coach from 1979 to 1982.

Former Duke football head coach Red Wilson died Friday at the age of 95, the team announced.

Wilson served as the the Blue Devils' head coach from 1979 to 1982, compiling a 16-27-1 record across his four seasons, including a 12-10 record over his final two seasons in Durham.

The North Carolina native previously spent 10 seasons as head coach of Elon, where he went 72-34-2, including a NAIA Division I Championship appearance in 1973. Wilson also coached 17 seasons at the high school level across North Carolina, compiling a 138-38-11 record along with two state championships at Reynolds High School in Winston-Salem, N.C., in 1958 and 1964.

In 1985, Wilson was enshrined in the North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame.

“I had the good fortune to play for Coach Wilson in the 1966 Shrine Bowl and never forgot the extraordinarily positive experience," ACC Commissioner John Swofford said in a statement Saturday. "He was encouraging, upbeat and a tremendous motivator. We stayed in touch for years thereafter, our paths crossing while he was at Duke and I was in Chapel Hill. I had such respect for him as a coach and as a person. His impact on sports in North Carolina, and the many young people he influenced, was significant. He was truly one of the 'good guys.'"

Share and discuss “Red Wilson, former Duke football head coach, dies at age 95” on social media.