Selective groups can hold spring recruitment, most can't recruit first-years

<p>&nbsp;</p>

Greek and non-Greek selective living groups will be allowed to hold virtual recruitment for sophomores, junior and seniors in the spring semester, though most cannot recruit first-years

In a Thursday email to undergraduate students part of non-Greek SLGs, Jeff Nelson, Housing and Residence Life’s communications lead and liaison, wrote that non-Greek SLGs are permitted to conduct recruitment activities for sophomores, juniors and seniors under specific parameters. 

Emilie Dye, director of student engagement and leadership, wrote in a Jan. 6 email to chapter presidents and council officers of Greek organizations that Greek chapters may similarly host recruitment activities in the spring semester under certain conditions.

Nelson wrote that all activities for non-Greek SLGs must be virtual and registered in DukeGroups. There will be some exceptions to host closed ceremonies or initiations in person “if they follow all COVID guidelines” including less than ten people, masks and social distance, the email reads. These activities will need to be cleared with the HRL team and others.

Nelson added that SLGs must provide HRL with a semester calendar before the start of rush,  including all recruitment dates. All groups must complete a rush intent form by Feb. 5 at 5 p.m., according to the email.

Nelson wrote in an email to The Chronicle that the Class of 2024 will have opportunities to join non-Greek SLGs “in the future, but not this year.” The Next Generation Living and Learning 2.0 Committee announced in November that the Class of 2024 will rush living groups in their sophomore year.

Panhellenic and Interfraternity Council chapters are allowed to recruit sophomores, juniors and seniors—but not first-years at this time, as per the Next Gen 2.0 Committee’s guidelines, according to Dye's email, a copy of which was reviewed by The Chronicle.

Multicultural Greek Council and National Pan-Hellenic Council chapters are allowed to recruit students of any class year this semester. Dye wrote that this is “subject to change” in future years due to the Next Gen. 2.0 Committee’s “continued examination of the fraternity/sorority experience.”

Similar to non-Greek SLG recruitment, the email noted that all activities, from recruitment events to membership selection, must be virtual and registered in DukeGroups.

Greek groups that intend to bring in new members were required to complete a Qualtrics form by Jan. 20, after which a representative from the University Center Activities and Events office would set up meetings with groups to discuss their process and procedures, “taking into account COVID-19 safety precautions.”

Duke asked selective groups in October to pause recruitment planning, and noted in November that “informal or pre-rush activities” would be considered serious violations of Duke rules.

In its December virtual town hall, the Next Gen 2.0 Committee told to the community that it does not plan to diminish or eliminate Greek Life and SLGs but instead hopes to improve non-selective housing through a residential quad model and other quad traditions.

Mona Tong profile
Mona Tong

Mona Tong is a Trinity senior and director of diversity, equity and inclusion analytics for The Chronicle's 117th volume. She was previously news editor for Volume 116.

Share and discuss “Selective groups can hold spring recruitment, most can't recruit first-years” on social media.