Duke considering different degrees of in-person learning for fall, delays registration to July

Duke has delayed registration for fall 2021 courses to July to have more time to plan for the fall semester, with the number of in-person classes still uncertain. 

The University is planning for several different fall scenarios based on COVID-19 conditions, wrote Frank Blalark, associate vice provost and University registrar, in an email to The Chronicle. These include offering mostly online classes, similar to the current semester; somewhat increasing the number of in-person classes; and significantly increasing in-person classes. 

Registration for fall courses will now take place from July 7 to July 19, according to the most recent academic calendar. Blalark wrote that the delay will give Duke more time to react to any given scenario. 

The first scenario, with mostly online classes, assumes that there will be no change in COVID-19 conditions before the fall, Blalark wrote. The second, with some increase in in-person classes, assumes pandemic conditions will be more favorable by the time the semester starts. 

In the final scenario, Duke would significantly expand in-person learning and decrease the number of online and hybrid courses. 

“This scenario assumes that we are approaching a "normal" landscape,” Blalark wrote. 

Registration for the fall usually takes place during the spring semester, although students had to re-register for fall courses last summer due to changes in course scheduling as Duke adapted to the pandemic. 

Bookbagging will open for fall 2021 courses June 28. The drop-add period will begin July 20 and end Sept. 3.

Matthew Griffin

Matthew Griffin was editor-in-chief of The Chronicle's 116th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke considering different degrees of in-person learning for fall, delays registration to July” on social media.