Price condemns pro-Trump riots in Washington in statement to Duke community

President Vincent Price publicly condemned the pro-Trump riots that occurred in Washington Wednesday in a message to the Duke community.

“I want to be clear: the storming of the Capitol complex is not merely a brazen act by a relatively small group of instigators. It is the direct result of a campaign to sow mistrust in our democracy and to overturn an election that was by all reasonable accounts conducted freely and fairly,” Price wrote.

The events began when supporters of President Donald Trump gathered outside the U.S. Capitol building, growing in size and becoming violent until Congress was required to halt certification of the electoral vote that was set to confirm Democrat Joe Biden as the winner of the 2020 Presidential Election.

The rioting protesters, some armed, broke into the building and past Capitol police. This forced the evacuation of Vice President Mike Pence and the members of Congress. The entire District of Columbia National Guard was activated to disperse the rioters, along with law enforcement support from Maryland and Virginia.

“We are deeply concerned for the safety of our public officials, their staffs, and the law enforcement officers and first responders who are selflessly protecting life and property in the face of this assault,” Price wrote.

Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser issued a 6 p.m. curfew, and the Capitol building was secured by 5:40 p.m. One woman was left dead from a gunshot to the chest.

Price further said that the day’s events were “made all the more shameful by their futility,” citing local, state and federal findings that the presidential election results were sound.

Price concluded the message with an acknowledgment that President-elect Biden will be inaugurated Jan. 20. Until then, he expressed hope that the country can work together during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“We at Duke will continue to work with our duly elected representatives in Washington, regardless of party, to that end,” Price wrote.

Maria Morrison profile
Maria Morrison

Maria Morrison is a Trinity senior and a digital strategy director for The Chronicle's 117th volume. She was previously managing editor for Volume 116.

Share and discuss “Price condemns pro-Trump riots in Washington in statement to Duke community” on social media.