Recapping the week in Duke Athletics: Women's, men's soccer fall in ACC tournaments

Duke women's soccer simply could not hold off Florida State's lethal offense in the ACC semifinals.

Each week, we’ll recap how each of Duke’s sports currently in competition performed over the last week, and give a brief look ahead. We continue with the week of Nov. 9.

Men’s soccer

Duke (2-6, 2-4 in the ACC) faced off against No. 1 Pittsburgh in the ACC tournament quarterfinals Sunday evening. The Blue Devils outshot the Panthers 15-12 but fell by a score of 2-1, concluding its fall season. Head coach John Kerr’s squad may have finished with an underwhelming final record, but it battled all year and suffered several close losses to top-ranked teams. Duke outshot No. 2 Wake Forest 18-8 and forced overtime against No. 4 Clemson, but ultimately fell to both late in the game. The Blue Devils consistently struggled with finishing their shot opportunities throughout the year, something that plagued them in both those defeats as well as this latest loss to Pittsburgh. -Ramona Naseri

Women’s soccer

It was ACC tournament week for women’s soccer and, for the first time since 2017, the Blue Devils (7-4-2, 4-2-2) made it to the semifinals, taking down Clemson 1-0 Tuesday in the quarterfinals. But that set them up against Florida State for the second time this season. After losing narrowly to the Seminoles earlier in the year, Duke looked to have a chance in the rematch Friday. But the match quickly got away from the Blue Devils in the second half and they fell 4-0, their worst defeat of the season. Florida State went on to win the tournament and Duke went home, closing out the fall season and leaving the Blue Devils anxious for a chance at redemption in the spring. -Jonathan Browning

Swimming and diving

The Duke diving team hosted a meet against North Carolina Saturday morning. While there was no team score, the Blue Devil divers performed well. On the women's side, junior Maddi Pullinger—last week’s ACC Diver of the Week—and sophomore Kate Mullin took second and third-place, respectively, for the one-meter dive, and Mullin, sophomore Ali Watson and Pullinger took second, third, and fourth-place, respectively, for the three-meter dive. On the men’s side, junior Harel Anolick placed third for the one-meter dive and sophomore Jonah Cagley placed third with a career high score of 377.63 for the three-meter dive. Next, Duke will participate in the four-team UNC Invitational in Chapel Hill Dec. 3-5. -Rosie Li

Football did not compete this week. The Blue Devils next take on Wake Forest this coming Saturday at 12 p.m.

Share and discuss “Recapping the week in Duke Athletics: Women's, men's soccer fall in ACC tournaments” on social media.