The independent news organization of Duke University

Recapping the week in Duke Athletics: Football snags 2nd win, cross country shines in ACC Championships

Duke's running game dominated Saturday evening, totaling six touchdowns on the ground.

Each week, we’ll recap how each of Duke’s sports currently in competition performed over the last week, and give a brief look ahead. We continue with the week of Oct. 26.

Football

Coming off a bye, the Blue Devils (2-5, 1-5 in the ACC) looked sharp throughout their 53-19 victory against Conference USA foe Charlotte on Halloween night. While the competition assuredly did not match up with what Duke has seen during ACC play, the Blue Devils impressed in multiple facets of the game. The rushing attack racked up 274 yards, the special teams unit blocked two Charlotte punts and defensive end Chris Rumph II secured his fourth career game with three or more sacks. Duke clearly showed some positive signs going into the stretch run of the season, though a date with North Carolina this weekend will be a challenging test. -Max Rego

Women’s soccer

The fifth-ranked Blue Devils finished up their regular season in Florida, going 1-1 for the trip. Looking for its signature win of the season, Duke (6-3-2, 4-2-2) went toe-to-toe with No. 2 Florida State until the Seminoles scored a heartbreaking goal with mere seconds left in the match. The Blue Devils bounced back from the loss, however, with an easy 3-1 win against ACC bottom-feeder Miami three days later. The win secured them the No. 5 seed in the upcoming ACC tournament. Duke will face fourth-seeded Clemson, a team it’s already beaten once this season, in the quarterfinals Nov. 10. -Jonathan Browning

Field hockey

Duke (2-6, 1-4) secured its second consecutive victory to close out the regular season, taking down Virginia 2-0 Saturday afternoon. Once again, freshman Darcy Bourne and graduate student Eva Nunnink provided the scoring for the Blue Devils, who jumped to the No. 6 seed in this week’s ACC tournament with the win. They’ll take on third-seeded Syracuse in the quarterfinals Thursday at 7 p.m. -Evan Kolin

Volleyball

Duke (6-2, 6-2) closed its fall slate in spectacular fashion, sweeping Virginia in the two teams’ delayed second match. Behind nine blocks, seven service aces and just 10 errors, the Blue Devils made a final showcase of everything that helped them finish third in the ACC this season. Duke finished 5-13 and 12th in the conference last year, but thanks to the senior leadership of Payton Schwantz and consistent all-star performances from junior Ade Owokoniran and sophomore Gracie Johnson, the Blue Devils successfully redeemed their 2019 shortcomings. -Christian Olsen

Cross country

Duke wrapped up its season with the ACC Championships Friday morning, where the women’s team placed fourth and the men’s squad finished in fifth, both programs’ best ACC Championship performances since 2012. Three runners took home All-ACC honors, with senior Michaela Reinhart and sophomore Samantha Schadler placing in fourth and 10th overall, respectively, for the women and senior CJ Ambrosio placing in 16th overall for the men. -Kolin

Men’s soccer did not compete this past week after its home finale against No. 4 Kentucky was postponed to the spring. The Blue Devils will travel to No. 5 North Carolina this coming Friday to conclude the regular season before the ACC tournament begins Nov. 15.

Max Rego

Max Rego is a Trinity senior and an associate sports editor for The Chronicle's 118th volume. He was previously sports managing editor for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “Recapping the week in Duke Athletics: Football snags 2nd win, cross country shines in ACC Championships” on social media.