2020-21 Miami men's basketball preview

Miami Hurricanes

2019-20 record: 15-16, 7-13 in the ACC

Head coach: Jim Larrañaga 

Tenure at Miami: 10th season

Career coaching record: 632-422

Home court: Watsco Center

Starters: G Chris Lykes, G Kameron McGusty, G Isaiah Wong, F Rodney Miller Jr., C Nysier Brooks

Bench: G Harlond Beverly, F Anthony Walker, F Deng Gak, G Willie Herenton, F Matt Cross, G Earl Timberlake, F Sam Waardenburg

Overview: Last season’s run was only slightly better than the year before for Jim Larrañaga and the Miami Hurricanes.  Finishing with just one more win in a season cut short, the Hurricanes found a few players they can build around this year.  Returning senior guards Chris Lykes and Kameron McGusty were injured at various points throughout last season, but both averaged over 10 points per game when they played.  Joining those two are five more returning players, a key for chemistry that is seen much less often in the one-and-done era.  Unfortunately for Miami, redshirt senior Sam Waardenburg will miss the whole season with a foot injury.  Waardenburg was keyed up to earn the starting position and was expected to play a key role as the team’s main rebounder.  That production will have to be found elsewhere, possibly through Cincinnati transfer, center Nysier Brooks.  

Miami has a decent chance to make some noise in the ACC this year with this returning group.  Offensively, they were already very talented.  With key transfers like Brooks, as well as two four-star recruits, expect a better performance than last year. 

Team ceiling:  Don’t expect a Cinderella run to the Final Four for this team.  But if they do come together to the best of their ability, they could make it as far as the Round of 32.

Team floor:  The absolute bottom of this team’s expectations should be toward the cellar of this year’s strong ACC competition, and around a 12 seed in the NCAA tournament.  

Share and discuss “2020-21 Miami men's basketball preview” on social media.