Duke reports 19 new positive COVID-19 tests for faculty and staff, 11 for students out of 16,146 total

There were 30 new positive coronavirus tests at Duke between Nov. 7 and 13, out of 16,146 total tests, according to data released Monday on the University’s COVID-19 testing tracker.

There were 19 new positive tests among faculty and staff out of 2,029 total, for a positivity rate of .94%. That number includes one positive surveillance test out of 1,817 total, and 18 positives out of 212 tests conducted on faculty and staff who had symptoms or were determined to have been in close contact with someone who had a positive COVID-19 test.  

Among students, there were 11 positive coronavirus tests out of 14,117 total, for a positivity rate of .078%. That includes five positives among students who participated in surveillance testing, out of 14,023 total. Six of 94 tests were positive among students who had symptoms or were contact traced.

The number of positive faculty tests is an increase of five from last week, and is the highest total since Duke began regularly releasing testing data. The number of student positives is a decrease of one from last week.

In total, 125 people were placed in precautionary quarantine between Nov. 7 and 13 and 114 were released, according to Monday’s update. A total of 30 people were placed in isolation and 20 were cleared. 

Since Aug. 2, Duke has administered 162,552 tests and reported a total of 217 positives among faculty, staff and students. The University has conducted multiple kinds of testing, including entry testing of every returning student, testing based on contact tracing and pooled surveillance testing of asymptomatic people. 

Separately, Duke reported 26 positive tests among student-athletes, who began a phased return to campus July 12. Student-athlete test results are now rolled into overall data. 

Share and discuss “Duke reports 19 new positive COVID-19 tests for faculty and staff, 11 for students out of 16,146 total” on social media.