Duke reports 9 positive COVID-19 tests for students, 13 for faculty and staff out of 15,858 total.

There were 22 new positive coronavirus tests reported at Duke between Oct. 31 and Nov. 6, out of 15,858 total tests, according to data released Monday on the University’s COVID-19 testing tracker.

Among students, there were nine positive tests out of 13,925 total, for a positivity rate of 0.065%. 

That includes seven positives among students who participated in surveillance testing, out of 13,813 total. Additionally, two of 112 tests were positive among students who had symptoms or were determined to have been in close contact with someone who tested positive. No entry tests were conducted last week.

There were also 13 new positive tests among faculty and staff out of 1,933 total, for an overall positivity rate of 0.67%. There were no positive surveillance tests, and the 13 positives came out of 191 tests conducted on faculty and staff who were contact traced.  

There were five more faculty and staff cases last week compared to the previous week

According to the tracker, there are currently 11 active positive cases for students and 16 for faculty and staff.

In total, 136 people were placed in precautionary quarantine and 132 were released, according to Monday’s update. A total of 22 people were placed in isolation and 17 were released. 

Since Aug. 2, Duke has administered 149,614 tests and reported a total of 187 positives among faculty, staff and students. The University has conducted multiple kinds of testing, including entry testing of every returning student, testing based on contact tracing and pooled surveillance testing of asymptomatic people. 

Separately, Duke reported 26 positive tests among student-athletes, who began a phased return to campus July 12. Student-athlete data is now included in the weekly updates. Test results for student-athletes, coaches and staff are now included in overall data. 

Mona Tong profile
Mona Tong

Mona Tong is a Trinity senior and director of diversity, equity and inclusion analytics for The Chronicle's 117th volume. She was previously news editor for Volume 116.

Share and discuss “Duke reports 9 positive COVID-19 tests for students, 13 for faculty and staff out of 15,858 total.” on social media.