'Library Takeout,' COVID-19 cluster: The 5 most popular news stories from October

Boy, October seems like an eternity ago, doesn’t it? Halloween was only two weeks ago. Spooky.

If you’re already feeling nostalgic as the semester wraps up, you’ve found the right article. From a viral song to the end of a beloved program, here are the most popular Chronicle news stories from October. 

1. The story behind ‘Library Takeout,’ a Duke librarian’s international hit

When Duke needed a creative way to promote its new library check-out system, a musically talented librarian took his laptop and some crayons and created the fall’s biggest hit song: “Library Takeout.” The music video had around 20,000 views when this article was first published. After a first-year read the article and posted the video to Reddit, the song blew up. It now has more than 800,000 views on YouTube. 

2. Duke TIP to lay off 75 staff members, end Academic Talent Search permanently

Duke TIP, the popular summer program for students grades 4-12, had to lay off 75 staff members and shutter the Academic Talent Search program because of financial struggles due to COVID-19.

3. Is Christoph Guttentag a cat person?

Christoph Guttentag, the gatekeeper of the Gothic Wonderland, has had a lot of cats—but he says he’s not a cat person. Our Rose Wong talked with the Dean of Admissions about cats, admissions during a pandemic, and how he spends much longer on the rejection letter than the acceptance one.

4. Cunningham’s texts, Tillis’ diagnosis: How they affect the Senate race

Cal Cunningham conceded the N.C. Senate race to incumbent Thom Tillis Nov. 10, wrapping up one of the most “historically sexy” senate races in the country. The high-profile race only increased in intrigue when Tillis was diagnosed with COVID-19 and Cunningham’s flirtatious texts with a woman who wasn’t his wife were leaked.

5. Duke confirms first COVID-19 cluster, identified Oct. 12

October saw Duke’s first COVID-19 cluster, with a group of nine students in an apartment complex catching the virus. Fortunately, it didn’t lead to a mass outbreak and shut down the University, like what happened to Duke’s neighbor in Chapel Hill. 

Let’s opine together

In case you missed them, check out the most popular opinion pieces from October:

What’s the big deal with WAP?

From PASH: “At the end of the day, it’s about what’s profitable, and Cardi and Megan are just giving us what we want because sex sells.”

We’re not sick. Duke is.

From Lily Levin: “... students, at the crux of our transition between childhood and adulthood, are now pressured to produce more and more in order to earn a living wage, and we lack community-based systems of care to healthily cope with trauma.”

Duke bans men

From Nobel Prize-winning* satirist Monday Monday: “‘I shouldn’t be persecuted just because of my gender! What do these people think I am, a woman?’ one man says.” 

*Monday Monday has not actually won a Nobel Prize yet, mainly because one doesn’t exist for college journalism. A Pulitzer Prize, though...

Jake Satisky profile
Jake Satisky | Editor-in-Chief

Jake Satisky is a Trinity senior and the digital strategy director for Volume 116. He was the Editor-in-Chief for Volume 115 of The Chronicle. 

Share and discuss “'Library Takeout,' COVID-19 cluster: The 5 most popular news stories from October” on social media.