Duke reports 13 new positive COVID-19 tests for students, 11 for faculty and staff out of 15,532 total

<p>Test tubes for Duke's self-administered COVID-19 surveillance tests.</p>

Test tubes for Duke's self-administered COVID-19 surveillance tests.

There were 24 new positive coronavirus tests reported at Duke between Nov. 14 and Nov. 20, out of 15,532 total tests, according to data released Monday on the University’s COVID-19 testing tracker.

Among students, there were 13 positive coronavirus tests out of 13,421 total, for a positivity rate of 0.097%. That includes six positives among students who participated in surveillance testing, out of 13,269 total. 

Additionally, seven of 152 tests were positive among students who had symptoms or were determined to have been in close contact with someone who tested positive. 

There were also 11 new positive tests among faculty and staff out of 2,111 total, for a positivity rate of 0.52%. That number includes two positive surveillance tests out of 1,878 total, and nine positives out of 233 tests conducted on faculty and staff who had symptoms or were determined to have been in close contact with someone who had a positive COVID-19 test.  

The number of positive faculty and staff tests decreased by eight from last week—the highest recorded total since Duke began releasing testing data. The total number of tests conducted for students also declined this week compared to last week.

This marks the last full week of surveillance testing for the fall semester, which ends Monday, Nov. 23. Surveillance testing will resume for students remaining on campus over the break from Nov. 30 through the end of December.

In total, 176 people were placed in precautionary quarantine last week and 103 were released, according to Monday’s update. A total of 24 people were placed in isolation and 21 were released. 

Since Aug. 2, Duke has administered 178,084 tests and reported a total of 241 positives among faculty, staff and students. The University has conducted multiple kinds of testing, including entry testing of every returning student, testing based on contact tracing and pooled surveillance testing of asymptomatic people. 

Separately, Duke reported 26 positive tests among student-athletes, who began a phased return to campus July 12. 

Mona Tong profile
Mona Tong

Mona Tong is a Trinity senior and director of diversity, equity and inclusion analytics for The Chronicle's 117th volume. She was previously news editor for Volume 116.

Share and discuss “Duke reports 13 new positive COVID-19 tests for students, 11 for faculty and staff out of 15,532 total” on social media.