No. 1 recruit Kelly Chinn signs with Duke men's golf

Chinn was recently named the AJGA junior boys' player of the year, joining an exclusive list that includes Jordan Spieth, Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson.

Despite the lack of a 2020 fall season, Duke men's golf secured a major victory Wednesday.

Kelly Chinn, the No. 1 player in the Class of 2021, officially signed his Letter of Intent to join the Blue Devils next fall. The Great Falls, Va., native was named the junior boys' player of the year by the American Junior Golf Association just a few weeks ago.

"We couldn't be more proud to name Kelly as our first verbal, and now signed, commit from the Class of 2021," Duke head coach Jamie Green said in a release. "Kelly's ascent to the very top of junior golf has been one of mature, organized, deliberate, passionate, and unyielding, day-by-day hard work. He's a humble assassin. His parents, Eiko and Colin have provided caring and accepting support, but Kelly is unquestionably intrinsically motivated."

Chinn has had a decorated amateur career up to this point, reaching the semifinals of the 2019 U.S. Junior Amateur Championship and winning the 2019 Rolex Tournament of Champions.

"Kelly has been the epitome of growth since we'd had the chance to follow him—as a golfer and a student," Green said. "It's now been years since we made a mutual verbal commitment, and to have the day finally come when he signed his [National Letter of Intent], this day feels like fireworks on the 4th of July. Kelly is now, officially, a Duke Blue Devil. And everyone involved in our program is thrilled."

Max Rego profile
Max Rego

Max Rego is a Trinity senior and an associate sports editor for The Chronicle's 118th volume. He was previously sports managing editor for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “No. 1 recruit Kelly Chinn signs with Duke men's golf” on social media.