A look back at The Chronicle's 2020 election coverage

<p>Vote</p>

Vote

Nov. 3 is tomorrow. 

After months of campaigning, advocacy work and socially distanced debates, the end of the 2020 election cycle is almost here. This whole time, The Chronicle has been here to cover results, events and community voices.

Check out a retrospective of some previous election storytelling, and be sure to tune in Tuesday night for live election updates and reactions from community members.

Future VP nominee Kamala Harris visits Durham

At the Durham Committee on the Affairs of Black People's Founder's Day Banquet last August, Harris said discussions about civil rights were "about America's identity." 

Sen. Sanders speaks at UNC during unsuccessful primary run

At a September 2019 event, Sanders wasted no time in repeating his trademark call for a “political revolution” and took aim at the richest Americans for their influence over the economy and political system. 

An 'unusually powerful position': Fuqua professor runs for N.C. treasurer

Aaron “Ronnie” Chatterji, professor at the Fuqua School of Business and the Sanford School of Public Policy, decided to run for the position as a Democrat.

political donations.jpg

Bang for your buck: Duke employees donate to candidates

Based on the Center for Responsive Politics' data for contributors who listed “Duke University” as their employer, which would include both faculty and staff, Duke employees gave nearly $400,000 to political causes in this election cycle by Feb. 26.

A primary throwback: Student groups form to support candidates 

For some, the onset of the primary season did not only decide the Democratic nominee. It also rendered a verdict on their years-long campaign—from phone banking and tabling to debate watch parties and door-to-door canvassing—that now culminated at the polls.

Student political groups gear up for a galvanizing election

Without the option of hosting in-person programming this fall, groups like Duke Votes, Duke Students for Biden and Duke Democrats are working hard to facilitate creative virtual events aimed at getting out the vote.

Students adjust voting plans during odd election season

Student groups such as Duke Votes, Duke Students for Biden and the Duke International Relations Association are working to help Duke students decide what state or district to vote in and provide them information regarding absentee ballot requests. 

FullSizeRender.jpg
Junior Dora Pekec took the semester off school to work as a field organizer for Sara Gideon, a Democrat challenging Susan Collins (R-Maine) for her Senate seat. 

Students swap school for the campaign trail

Some students d long had the fall of 2020 earmarked for a leave of absence from Duke for election-related work. For others, the decision came in response to COVID-19, after a spring and summer filled with Zoom meetings and a lack of clarity from Duke about what the fall semester would look like on campus.

Cunningham's texts, Tillis' test

A sex scandal and a positive coronavirus test have shaken the high-stakes U.S. Senate race between incumbent Republican Thom Tillis and Democratic challenger Cal Cunningham.

Duke College Republicans decides not to recharter

In advance of the election, students have mobilized, campaigning for candidates, setting up voter registration tents and hosting debate watch parties over Zoom. But one group is conspicuously quiet: the Duke College Republicans. 

50505664596_e665aede43_k.jpg
Courtesy of Biden for President

Biden visits Durham with a message of hope

At the campaign event, which took place at Riverside High School in Durham and was regularly punctuated by a cacophony of car horns, Biden addressed the daunting challenges facing the country while also delivering a message of hope—his promise to help America embrace its better self. 

Share and discuss “A look back at The Chronicle's 2020 election coverage” on social media.