Recapping the week in Duke Athletics: Football falls at N.C. State, women's soccer continues win streak

Quarterback Chase Brice was sacked four times in Saturday's loss at N.C. State.

Each week, we’ll recap how each of Duke’s sports currently in competition performed over the last week, and give a brief look ahead. We continue with the week of Oct. 12.

Football:

Another week and another disappointing performance from Duke. Ball security once again plagued the Blue Devils (1-5, 1-5 in the ACC) in their 31-20 loss to N.C. State Saturday, but fortunately Duke will have a bye this week to spend extra time on taking care of the football. The Blue Devils’ next matchup against Charlotte Oct. 31 is a perfect opportunity for a bounce-back win and will serve as a dress rehearsal for the team's matchup with North Carolina the following week. -Jake Piazza

Men’s soccer:

Duke took on Clemson in its lone matchup this week, falling to the Tigers 2-1 Friday in double-overtime. This marked the Blue Devils’ second game reaching double-overtime this season after they defeated N.C. State in the final minute Sept. 26. Although this latest loss doesn’t have any major implications on Duke’s shot at making the ACC tournament, the Blue Devils (2-3, 2-2) do have a difficult remaining schedule against No. 1 Wake Forest, No. 3 North Carolina and No. 4 Kentucky. -Alex Jackson

Women’s soccer:

The fifth-ranked Blue Devils traveled north for their first road matches since their season-opener at Wake Forest. In its first matchup of the trip, Duke (5-1-2, 3-1-2) faced off against a struggling Boston College team but needed overtime to pull out the 1-0 win. Three days later, the Blue Devils traveled to Syracuse, where Duke’s struggling offense finally broke through with an easy 4-0 victory. This week, the Blue Devils will look to avenge their lone loss of the season as they travel to Chapel Hill for a rematch against No. 1 North Carolina Friday. -Jonathan Browning

Field hockey:

Duke traveled to Chapel Hill winless on the season. North Carolina, meanwhile, entered the contest winners of 51 of its last 52 games, including the last two national championships. But Sunday’s matchup certainly didn’t look like the David vs. Goliath match it was supposed to be, with the Blue Devils playing aggressively from the start and forcing overtime with a clutch penalty stroke in the final seconds of regulation. 

Duke’s upset bid fell just short, however, with the Tar Heels scoring four minutes into the extra period to clinch their second victory against their Tobacco Road rivals on the year. The Blue Devils (0-5, 0-3) will look to build off their impressive performance in Chapel Hill in their two matches against Wake Forest this coming weekend. -Evan Kolin

Cross country:

In its final meet before the ACC Championships Oct. 30, Duke placed first in the women’s race and second in the men’s race in Friday’s three-team Virginia/Panorama Arms Invitational. The highlight of the meet was senior Amanda Beach’s first individual win since 2017, edging teammate and “best friend” Michaela Reinhart by 0.9 seconds. CJ Ambrosio led the Blue Devil men, pushing the pace from the start and finishing in second overall. -Kolin

Duke volleyball did not compete this past week, its next matches slated for this Saturday and Sunday against Virginia.

Jake C. Piazza

Jake Piazza is a Trinity senior and was sports editor of The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Share and discuss “Recapping the week in Duke Athletics: Football falls at N.C. State, women's soccer continues win streak” on social media.