Duke football's Mark Gilbert declares for 2021 NFL Draft

The Duke faithful got to see Mark Gilbert back in action for two games this season, and he managed to snag an interception before going down with an injury.

Despite missing most of Duke's games in the past three college football seasons, Blue Devil cornerback Mark Gilbert announced on Twitter that he would be declaring for the 2021 NFL Draft, effectively opting out of the rest of the 2020 season.

The former All-ACC selectee suited up for two games this season before the team announced he would be out indefinitely due to a loose bone fragment in his foot that required surgery. Gilbert has had a tough road of injuries, as this season was the first time he had played in a game since the 2018 campaign. 

It is unclear at the moment where Gilbert's draft stock is at. He is undeniably talented but his struggle to stay healthy will undoubtedly play a role in where NFL general mangers place him on their draft boards. 

Jake C. Piazza

Jake Piazza is a Trinity senior and was sports editor of The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke football's Mark Gilbert declares for 2021 NFL Draft” on social media.