Duke reports 15 positive COVID-19 tests for students, 5 for faculty and staff out of 14,554 total

There were 20 new positive coronavirus tests reported at Duke between Sept. 26 and Oct. 2, out of 14,554 total tests, according to data released Monday on the University’s COVID-19 testing tracker.

Among students, there were 15 positive coronavirus tests out of 12,992 total, for a positivity rate of 0.12%. That includes 10 undergraduates and five graduate and professional students, according to a news release

The 15 positives include 10 positives among students who participated in surveillance testing, out of 12,657 total. Additionally, five of 121 tests were positive among students who had symptoms or were determined to have been in close contact with someone who tested positive, and none of the 214 entry tests for returning students came back positive.

There were also five new positive tests among faculty and staff out of 1,562 total, for a positivity rate of 0.32%. That number includes one positive surveillance test out of 1,422 total, and four positives out of 140 tests conducted on faculty and staff who had symptoms or were determined to have been in close contact with someone who had a positive COVID-19 test.  

This week’s 15 positive tests among students is more than double the six that were reported the previous week, between Sept 19. and Sept. 25. Faculty and staff positive tests also rose from two to five, and Duke conducted 413 more total tests than last week.

There are now a total of 25 “active positive cases” at Duke, according to the tracker. 

In total, 130 people were placed in precautionary quarantine and 66 were released, according to Monday’s update. A total of 20 people were placed in isolation and 7 were released. 

Since Aug. 2, Duke has administered 72,470 tests and reported a total of 95 positives among faculty, staff and students. The University has conducted multiple kinds of testing, including entry testing of every returning student, testing based on contact tracing and pooled surveillance testing of asymptomatic people. 

Separately, Duke reported 26 positive tests among student-athletes, who began a phased return to campus July 12. Results for student-athletes are now included in other testing numbers. 

Editor's note: This story was updated Thursday morning with the number of people released from quarantine and isolation.

Share and discuss “Duke reports 15 positive COVID-19 tests for students, 5 for faculty and staff out of 14,554 total” on social media.